Buying a zero turn

jdbigjohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm am looking at either buying a new John Deere 445 or a used commercial John Deere zero turn at the dealership, the used ones have between 300-900 hours on them. Would it be better to buy the commercial used one or just go for a new 445?

Micah Haarhoff

Threads
The new 445 will last you a lot longer and it will have a warranty

Last edited:

sirrobbins

Threads
new will have a warranty and also allow you to know how and when it is serviced. Never know how used equipment was maintained or not maintained which is a risk I always run into.

Parkmower

Threads
How much acreage we talkin here?

lawnmo

Forum Newbie
Threads
New is the way to go we only live once,big warnings if you want to keep it in tip top shape don't lend it out,good luck,GOD bless and take care of your baby!

dhall57

Threads
Buying a used mower is just like buying used car. You can get a good one but you can also inherit someone else's headaches and problems if you don't do your homework. I recently purchased a new Z turn and I thought about checking out some used machine but got a good deal from a near by dealer on a new Toro. No money down, 0 finance for 42 mon, and 3 year warranty. Taken care of I hope it will be the last mower I have to buy. Good luck with your purchase bigjohn.

Lohman446

Threads
My non-expert opinion: If you are using it in a residential setting buy used and buy the heaviest equipment you can. Used in a residential setting where you are talking 50 hours or so a year time will take its toll on the equipment before use does. Buying a couple year old unit that is a commercial unit will give you nicer equipment to use as well as equipment that is built heavier and should age more effectively. Add to it the fact that commercial equipment will hold its value better after the initial depreciation and I think you would be better off buying used.

You should be aware however that my comments are colored by the fact that I do not value a warranty. I am highly unlikely to have repairs done at a dealership regardless of warranty unless those repairs are major in nature (its frankly easier to do it myself then take it to the dealer).

Parkmower

Threads
Size of Mowing area will dictate what you should get. If you have 5-10 acres to mow your gonna want a commercial built machine. Not that residential 445. Your warranty has a hour limit too not just years. Usually 3 year or 120 hrs. Which you could possibly blow right by in your first year if mowing a big area weekly.