Buying a used riding mower ... looking for constructive advice.

morgan1819

Forum Newbie
My yard is not large (approximately .25 acre) but it does have very thick grass, and a side hill.

It is well manicured, and not bumpy or rough.

I've been thinking about going the used route, since there seem to be some decent options available locally.

Here is what I am looking at:

1.) 2002 Simplicity Regent lawn tractor. 18hp Kohler Command. Includes bagger. Very clean, but no hour meter. $800 out the door.

2.) 2001? Simplicity ZT 16 44 mower. I like the turning radius on the ZT. No bagger. No hour meter. ASking $600

3.) There are a few John Deeres available (LX176 $900. LT155 $1000. LX277 with bagger $1300. JD 115 $750)


I can't see where I would use it for anything other than mowing. I only have 1 tree to mow around, as the rest are landscaped.

Is there a clear winner above, assuming all are in good running order? What should I look out for?

I will definitely plan on a test mow before buying...
 
For what you would spend on a john Deere you can get more mower for your money going with most any other brand.
 
please don't buy a junk Deere ...There not what they used to be trust me i work on them and i am not happy with them anymore there getting just as bad as everyone elase...If u get one from a dealer u are getting a real Deere not a knock off box store special. But like they said u pay more for the name ...Me I like Murray or a craftsman but out of the choices u have listed there i would pick the 2002 Simplicity Regent lawn tractor. 18hp Kohler Command. with the bagger for 800 not bad But the ZT is good also wish it had the HR meter tho so u can tell if its been used very well
 
please don't buy a junk Deere ...There not what they used to be trust me i work on them and i am not happy with them anymore there getting just as bad as everyone elase...If u get one from a dealer u are getting a real Deere not a knock off box store special. But like they said u pay more for the name ...Me I like Murray or a craftsman but out of the choices u have listed there i would pick the 2002 Simplicity Regent lawn tractor. 18hp Kohler Command. with the bagger for 800 not bad But the ZT is good also wish it had the HR meter tho so u can tell if its been used very well



I 2nd that I have worked on a few John deere mowers, and they have really went down hill.
 
Back
Top