Buying a new Husqvarna GT but which one?!

FleaTie

Forum Newbie
Threads
First all, whats up everybody! I would have introduced myself in the Husqvarna owner thread but I don't own one yet. That will change here soon. :thumbsup: So I am going to buy a Husqvarna GT new but there are some options that I am not sure on, that I would love some opinions on. First one, should I go with the Briggs and Stratton 27HP Endurance series or the 24HP Kawasaki FR? Keep in mind that I am not worried about HP here but which would hold up better later down the road. My first thought is Kawasaki but I don't know? Next which deck should I go with Stamped or Fabricated? I am leaning towards the fabricated, for the greasable ball bearings(This guy loves grease certs! :thumbsup:) on the tower bearings and I know that it will out last the stamped. I know that the stamped ones come with a 10yr warranty and powder coated which I think, powder coat, would hold up a lot better. Last, which I think depends on which engine you get, the transmission, Tuff Torq or Hydro-Gear? any and all opinions and info would help out, Thanks guys! As soon I get one, some pictures will go up.

phcaan

Threads
First all, whats up everybody! I would have introduced myself in the Husqvarna owner thread but I don't own one yet. That will change here soon. :thumbsup: So I am going to buy a Husqvarna GT new but there are some options that I am not sure on, that I would love some opinions on. First one, should I go with the Briggs and Stratton 27HP Endurance series or the 24HP Kawasaki FR? Keep in mind that I am not worried about HP here but which would hold up better later down the road. My first thought is Kawasaki but I don't know? Next which deck should I go with Stamped or Fabricated? I am leaning towards the fabricated, for the greasable ball bearings(This guy loves grease certs! :thumbsup:) on the tower bearings and I know that it will out last the stamped. I know that the stamped ones come with a 10yr warranty and powder coated which I think, powder coat, would hold up a lot better. Last, which I think depends on which engine you get, the transmission, Tuff Torq or Hydro-Gear? any and all opinions and info would help out, Thanks guys! As soon I get one, some pictures will go up.
FleaTie:
I understand you dilemma, I was shopping for the same tractor you are. I had decided on the Kawasaki engine because it seemed to have such a great track record. I also decided on the fabricated deck.
While I was shopping I ran across a 2011 model GTH27V52LS with 38 hours on it for a really good price. I bought it. It has the briggs engine, which after I got it have been quite impressed with it. It also had a HydroGear G7 transmission which has a spin-on type filter and is completely serviceable. I did not want the TuffTorq 46 transmission that has such a dismal service life.
The fabricated deck gives me a great cut but I had problems finding blades for it locally. I found them on the internet, great quality and at a great price.The switchable lockable rear end would have been nice but now the the unit is in use I don't see a real need for it in my application.
Good luck with your search.

cphilip

Threads

Keep in mind that the Kawasaki 24 is the same (practically the same) HP as the B&S. They are rating them using a different standard. The Kawasaki 24 was the 26 up until Kawasaki adopted the new rating standard. Its more realistic. As far as I can tell B&S is still using the old rating standard. So the newer Huskys model number reflects that change from 26 to 24. But it is exactly the same motor as was rated 26 hp. And so it compares favorably with the B&S in that category. And its reputation is pretty strong.

Hydro gear for sure. And fab deck.