Buying a forever lawnmower. Lawnmower buying advice.

Threads
How long does the battery last in months/years & what is the cost of a replacement battery? Usually the replacement battery is almost as much as the tool.

Harbor Freight is giving away the tools if you buy a battery LOL

d2wing

Threads
bertsmobile1, I don't know you. But I believe you're a guy who tries to do your job well. Yet, for some reason you believe others don't want to do their best. You believe businesses find the cheapest shippers regardless of whether they deliver on time. You believe retailers would rather find the low-cost supplier irrespective of whether their product works. You don't understand that most businesses have competitors and that customers have options. Frankly, you don't understand business.

If you had a leaky faucet that leaked the day after the low-cost plumber fixed it, would you use that plumber next time? Apparently, you would. Well, most people wouldn't. They care about quality and satisfaction, not just price. And businesses are aware of that. Darwin could have written a book on business. It's survival of the fittest, not a bunch of uncaring fools who spend their time squeezing money from customers who don't know better.
You are delusional if you believe what you write. Must be a textbook guy with no real experience. My son-in-law is like you , bought all electric stuff for his new house. It didn't take long for him to switch to a gas mower. I have had two electric mowers and a very small one as well. Batteries are a huge problem as well as controllers failing. You are full of BS.

Gord Baker

Threads
Hello all! I recently purchased my first home. The house is located on 1/3 acre lot. Im looking to buy a long lasting lawnmower. Here are my requirements, all of them don’t need to be satisfied but preferred.

☐20" cutting width ( yard has allot of landscaping and tight spots, I like smaller cutting path )

☐Powerful and strong torque engine that doesn’t stall in knee high grass on a damp Saturday morning when the wife is yelling at you to cut the dam grass.

☐Bright Red deck color

☐Self propelled optional

☐Larger rear wheel

☐Commonly found parts

☐I’m 6 feet tall so adjustable or higher push bar would be nice

☐Add on bag optional. I plan on using mulching blade 90% of time

I’m OK with buying slightly used from FB marketplace, craigslist etc.

I’m OK with buying online. Here in South Texas we have Home Depot, Lowes etc.

My budget is $750 or less.

Thank you very much, please advise,
Nothing available to meet your needs at 3X the budget. Burn knee high grass or get a scythe. Wait til it dries.

MichaelSwan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all! I recently purchased my first home. The house is located on 1/3 acre lot. Im looking to buy a long lasting lawnmower. Here are my requirements, all of them don’t need to be satisfied but preferred.

☐20" cutting width ( yard has allot of landscaping and tight spots, I like smaller cutting path )

☐Powerful and strong torque engine that doesn’t stall in knee high grass on a damp Saturday morning when the wife is yelling at you to cut the dam grass.

☐Bright Red deck color

☐Self propelled optional

☐Larger rear wheel

☐Commonly found parts

JMTCW, I am 78 and most of the best mowers I have used were 2 cycle and all old. First was a Lawnboy made by OMC, then a Jacobsen 321 and now I have a Toro Proline, commercial with a Suzuki 5.5hp. all were push and I mowed a 1/2 lot with them. Easy to maintain, I would let someone talk me out of one and then move up to the next one. I am using the Suzuki now but as a trim mower on 2 acres with my John Deere riding mower doing the heavy work. None would cut knee high grass, but could handle 8" easily. Since I have had knee surgery I picked up a John Deere JS26 off the side of the road, put in a new plug and cleaned the carburetor and mow with it as it is self propelled. So far it is a good mower. I only bought one new walk behind mower and that was a Honda when they came out in the 80s. It was still running great when I traded it in 2008 for a set of brakes on my truck. Good luck, don't be scared of used if you know the basics of how they work.

DepDad

Forum Newbie
Threads

☐Bright Red deck color

☐Self propelled optional

☐Larger rear wheel

☐Commonly found parts

I recommend a HRX-217 Honda mower.

Avman

Forum Newbie
Threads

RevB

Threads

☐Bright Red deck color

☐Self propelled optional

☐Larger rear wheel

☐Commonly found parts

1713022309295.jpeg

scoyote

Threads
I'm going with the majority on here---imho an older pre 2018 super recycler with a Quantum Briggs engine and an auto choke--no blade clutch cables to mess with---That's what i would pick without going back too old. Parts readily available --easy to work on--I've been doing this a long time!

Avman

Forum Newbie
Threads

☐Bright Red deck color

☐Self propelled optional

☐Larger rear wheel

☐Commonly found parts

I love my Toro personal pace. As with any piece of equipment if you keep up on maintenance it will last a long time.

Last edited:

TonyPrin

Threads
You are delusional if you believe what you write. Must be a textbook guy with no real experience. My son-in-law is like you , bought all electric stuff for his new house. It didn't take long for him to switch to a gas mower. I have had two electric mowers and a very small one as well. Batteries are a huge problem as well as controllers failing. You are full of BS.
Approx 25% of push mowers and 50% of other yard equipment (like trimmers and chainsaws) sold today are electric. But you think everyone should stop doing so because your son-in-law didn't like one. Don't be silly.

Last edited: