BUYER BEWARE! JOHN DEERE NO LONGER COATING BOTTOMS OF MOWER DECKS (2020 42" S110 BUILT IN GREENEVILLE, TN. PLUS NO DRAIN HOLES IN SPRING LOADED IDLER

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / BUYER BEWARE! JOHN DEERE NO LONGER COATING BOTTOMS OF MOWER DECKS (2020 42" S110 BUILT IN GREENEVILLE, TN. PLUS NO DRAIN HOLES IN SPRING LOADED IDLER

Born2Mow

Threads
  • / BUYER BEWARE! JOHN DEERE NO LONGER COATING BOTTOMS OF MOWER DECKS (2020 42" S110 BUILT IN GREENEVILLE, TN. PLUS NO DRAIN HOLES IN SPRING LOADED IDLER
The more serious question that needs to be asked is: Why is one blade green while the other is yellow? :unsure:
Now that is taking "2-tone color" to a new level. :ROFLMAO:

Mad_mat222

Threads
Nothing you put on the underside will last. Even well manicured lawn with no dust, will still remove any coating back to bare metal over time. Add a little dust, sand or gravel and it gets sand blasted super quick. It’s amazing how abrasive just a little dust is.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The only stuff that will stand up to the abrasion that happens under a deck is POR 15 chassis paint , and even it needs a sacrifical top coat as it degrades when exposed to UV rays .
I have only been a mower tech for 8 years but am yet to see a deck that has rusted out from the underside.
OTOH i have seen near 100 that have rusted out from a build up of wet clippings on the top .
Around a dozen that burst into flames due to a build up of dry clippings on the top .
People with no understanding of chemistry and physics go crazy about cleaning the underside of the deck
People who know don't bother.
The only time cleaning the underside is important is if you have a bad weed infestation & have let the weeds go to seed before mowing them
In this case you clean out the deck & hot compost the clippings from under there to prevent spreading the weed seeds.
The other case is if you mow other people yards when again you clean the under side to prevent weed seeds or other pathagens being transferred from one lawn to another
And in both cases tyre cleaning is also needed.
Ever wondered why weeds always seem to pop up along side a driveway ?

Markdd52

Forum Newbie
Threads
Best way to keep that deck clean and looking recently painted.
1.Park it in your garage (climate controlled preferred).
2. Never, and I mean never ever bring it out.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have one customer who religiously uses the water hose washout on their mower. They drop the deck and run the water and blades for a few minutes every mowing. The mower is probably 15 years old and the underside of the deck looks better than most one year old mowers. Almost no rust and no grass. I have another customer that mowes rain or shine and never cleans the deck. She buys cheap second hand riders to mow lots for bank owned properties. Decks last a couple years before deck rot rusts it out or a spindle rips out of the deck. Those water washout thingies really work if you use it right everytime you mow.