Buy once Cry once

bkeller500

Threads
Buy once...Cry once. After spending this summer researching, testing and inspecting pretty much every brand of ZT's, I find that me ( the average walk in consumer) can get pretty confused pretty quickly. As I spoke with 7-8 different dealers I learned most of them know very little about their equipment. They tend to have a favorite brand and stick to it as their recommendation but when I ask why they struggle giving answers that are very meaningful. Non of them can tell me or show me why their equipment is built better or will perform better. Maybe it's because there are very subtle differences between brands. They all use the same hydros, similar tires,10 gauge fabricated decks, same motors, similar deck hanger systems, and similar seats. I did learn that entry level models are OK but will disappoint a new owner more often and a mid-range model will serve the average homeowner well and the Pro-grade stuff to be honest, I just didn't go there. MY point is no matter what the price point is, do your home work and ask a ton of questions. Look at units side by side. Ask about service and support. Most likely you will do most of your own repairs and maintenance due to transporting issues and cost. Going cheap is tempting and saving money is normally a good thing. But once you walk out the door and take delivery, you are most likely on your own. Yes your dealer will help you if you need service and it's good to have that option nearby. But the cost is going to set you back and if it is repetitive or lengthy you lose. If you are fortunate enough to find a knowledgeable dealer and feel you can trust him....give him your business.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A lot of times you will see comments here like
"find the colour your wife likes best "
And now you know the reason why
What I suggest to people is to get the owners manual then work out the scheduled service costs
In the long run that is a big difference
Include a set of blades & belts each year and use that as your basis for making a decision
Take an oil filter wrench with you and see if you can get to the oil filter then have a good look to see if the spilled oil can be caught , will drain off easily or will dribble all over the belts
And of course see if you can get the wench onto the filter in the first place without hanging from the ceiling .
If servicing is easy then you will do it as required .

bkeller500

Threads
A lot of times you will see comments here like
"find the colour your wife likes best "
And now you know the reason why
What I suggest to people is to get the owners manual then work out the scheduled service costs
In the long run that is a big difference
Include a set of blades & belts each year and use that as your basis for making a decision
Take an oil filter wrench with you and see if you can get to the oil filter then have a good look to see if the spilled oil can be caught , will drain off easily or will dribble all over the belts
And of course see if you can get the wench onto the filter in the first place without hanging from the ceiling .
If servicing is easy then you will do it as required .
I agree.... ease of getting the engine oil filter off without making a mess is a big deal. Also getting the Hydro filters off and the Hydro's oil replaced should be a major concern. Ability to level the deck is probably among the top 3 concerns. Then it gets down to lubrication of the spindles and other maintenance points. Most owners manuals are available on-line so a consumer can check the mfg requirements and determine his/her ability to perform them or be aware that a servicing dealer is required.

shurguywutt

Threads
With all due respect ! Maybe you are overthinking the situation.
Bruh, you are on a mower forum and we are talking about mowers - at least 50% of the forum material is overthinking mowers, but that's why we are here. ROFL

Ron3

Threads
Buy once...Cry once. After spending this summer researching, testing and inspecting pretty much every brand of ZT's, I find that me ( the average walk in consumer) can get pretty confused pretty quickly. As I spoke with 7-8 different dealers I learned most of them know very little about their equipment. They tend to have a favorite brand and stick to it as their recommendation but when I ask why they struggle giving answers that are very meaningful. Non of them can tell me or show me why their equipment is built better or will perform better. Maybe it's because there are very subtle differences between brands. They all use the same hydros, similar tires,10 gauge fabricated decks, same motors, similar deck hanger systems, and similar seats. I did learn that entry level models are OK but will disappoint a new owner more often and a mid-range model will serve the average homeowner well and the Pro-grade stuff to be honest, I just didn't go there. MY point is no matter what the price point is, do your home work and ask a ton of questions. Look at units side by side. Ask about service and support. Most likely you will do most of your own repairs and maintenance due to transporting issues and cost. Going cheap is tempting and saving money is normally a good thing. But once you walk out the door and take delivery, you are most likely on your own. Yes your dealer will help you if you need service and it's good to have that option nearby. But the cost is going to set you back and if it is repetitive or lengthy you lose. If you are fortunate enough to find a knowledgeable dealer and feel you can trust him....
Bruh, you are on a mower forum and we are talking about mowers - at least 50% of the forum material is overthinking mowers, but that's why we are here. ROFL

Ron3

Threads
My post was not intended to be critical just to be helpful. And I seriously doubt half the post on here at over thought. Lol.

bkeller500

Threads
My post was not intended to be critical just to be helpful. And I seriously doubt half the post on here at over thought. Lol.
I took no offense from the response and in fact it was humorous to me. I do appreciate this site where we can post questions and post thoughts about our lawn equipment and share with others that have experiences that may be beneficial to read about. Sarcasm can play a role in the exchange of ideas if presented well. Most poster do not judge or bully the other posters but occasionally a post may come off that way. We set that aside and move on. Most of us here are here to help or be helped.

Ron3

Threads
I totally agree !
I took no offense from the response and in fact it was humorous to me. I do appreciate this site where we can post questions and post thoughts about our lawn equipment and share with others that have experiences that may be beneficial to read about. Sarcasm can play a role in the exchange of ideas if presented well. Most poster do not judge or bully the other posters but occasionally a post may come off that way. We set that aside and move on. Most of us here are here to help or be helped.