BS 675 won't start after hitting somthing, flywheel key is fine.

hsnopi

Member
Hello all.
I did a search to see if i could find anything.
I have a troy-bilt 21" push mower with a Briggs & Stratton 675engine model #126t02-0675-b2

I was mowing and hit something and the engine stopped. I tried to restart (pull start) and it turns but won't catch. I did some research and found a very common cause is the flywheel key shearing so I took it apart and checked. it looks fine. no marks or ridges or anything in it. Before removing the flywheel, and after draining the gas and unplugging the spark plug wire, i manually turned the flywheel. While doing so I watched the gap between the wheel and whatever that electrical part is (yes I am a complete noob but I can read and like to at least try before sending it in.) and saw no difference in the gap nor did I hear any scraping sound.

I had mowed the lawn out front the day before with no issues. The blade is balanced and there were no vibrations. I figured since I have it apart i'd change the oil and replace the plug and filters anyway. However, as the mower was working perfectly fine the day before I suspect there is more tot he issue then that. I even let the engine sit overnight before trying again in case I'd flooded the thing. No luck. soooo....not sure what to do at this point. I am going to probably do a complete tear-down anyway just to see what it looks like and If I need to, send it to a shop to put back together.

However, any ideas on what is preventing the starting?

Sincerely,
Jeff
 
Hello Jeff & WELCOME to LMF...

First thing to do, after checking the flywheel key, ...
See if you are having fuel problem... spray starter fluid into the carb, see if it starts up... :smile:KennyV
 
will do. I removed the engine from the frame and have it on some wood planks. I assume I should put the flywheel back on.

Off hand, if it is a fuel process why would it have worked the day before? do you suspect the jolt somehow snapped a fuel something?

Secondly. how do I start it without the pull starter?
 
I would say put everything back together before trying anything including putting the blade on and starter rope. How in the world can you try to start it when it is siting on wooden blocks all apart ?
 
no ideal. i mean i didn't know if i assembled the motor and fuel tank and mounted to a block of wood or something I could start it by, and I'm guessing here, trying to spin the flywheel real fast and see if it starts.
 
no ideal. i mean i didn't know if i assembled the motor and fuel tank and mounted to a block of wood or something I could start it by, and I'm guessing here, trying to spin the flywheel real fast and see if it starts.

No ... that won't work...
You also must have the blade attached, as it is necessary & acts like a flywheel to give the engine the needed inertia to continue ...
Put it together and it will make looking for the problem MUCH easier... :smile:KennyV
 
no ideal. i mean i didn't know if i assembled the motor and fuel tank and mounted to a block of wood or something I could start it by, and I'm guessing here, trying to spin the flywheel real fast and see if it starts.

Sure sounds like a good way to lose a finger or two if it started :eek: It sound like you had better be bringing this to someone who knows what they are doing before you hurt yourself. One finger will cost you more then the whole mower or the repair job.
 
I don't want to hurt anyones feeling on this forum and realy enjoy helping someone fix their mower and that is what this forum is all about. But some of the things I read on here the person just has no Idea what they are doing and it would be better to bring it somewhere to get it fixed right. This last person if was spinding a flywheel by hand to start it and it just fired once could get hurt.
 
Back
Top