Brush blade selection

TonyPrin

Threads
I have approx. 1/4 acre of rugged wooded area to clear of brush, brambles, and saplings. I bought a conversion kit for my SR-225 trimmer that came with an 8-tooth blade. While it worked OK on very small stuff, I'm looking for a blade to clear brambles and 1/2-1" saplings. From what I've read, more teeth improves sapling cut diameter but is worse on small stuff. I'd appreciate some advice on blades that will accommodate my need: clear brush, brambles and up to 1" saplings effectively. Note, that I'm going with an 8" blade as my trimmer is only around 21cc.
Thanks!

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Similar ideas for clearing saplings etc. have a history of not working well since the 1940"s. If you want to clear it once and be done with that particular vegetative growth kill it with Glyphosate then pull it all out roots and all. Stack it, allow it to dry down to about 12 % moisture then burn it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are you sure you don’t have an SRM-225, not SR225. Either way you are pushing that unit to its limit with any type of blade. Personally I would not recommend using any blade on this unit as it will shorten the life of the head.

TonyPrin

Threads
Are you sure you don’t have an SRM-225, not SR225. Either way you are pushing that unit to its limit with any type of blade. Personally I would not recommend using any blade on this unit as it will shorten the life of the head.
You could be right which is why I’m using just an 8” blade but the kit I’m using is made by Echo for these machines. On your head point, it comes off when the blade is attached.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
By head I mean where the trimmer or blade is attached.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is an aftermarket blade which has a length of chain saw chain wrapped arond the edge which works really well.
However like all chain if you dip the blde into the dirt it bluntens just the same as when fitted to a saw.
It can also be sharpend with a file or 12V grinder just like on a saw.
OTOH I have around 5 miles of fence line to maintain as part of my lease.
For that I use a light chain saw and a brushcutter on a full H harness, correctly heigh adjusted so all I have to do is guide it with one hand .

If you are clearing a large area then ma rough cut mower will work a lot better than a hand held.
So if I were to do a 1/4 acre, then my first option would be to hire a rough cut mower rather than wreck my yard maintenance tools.
It would be a lot faster & easier on my back.

Romore

Threads
The brushcutter kit will fit your trimmer but the machine is too light for what you are planning to do. Rent a proper brush cutter to knock it down then use yours to maintain the property.

TonyPrin

Threads
The brushcutter kit will fit your trimmer but the machine is too light for what you are planning to do. Rent a proper brush cutter to knock it down then use yours to maintain the property.

I appreciate the time taken on all the comments including those suggesting the conversion is problematic for one reason or another. Please note, though, that the conversion kit I'm using is an ECHO product specifically described on their packaging as being for ECHO's SRM trimmers including the 225. In addition, ECHO sells 4 blades (including one that can cut saplings 2.25" in diameter) which ECHO states are for use on the SRM-225. I can't imagine ECHO selling products that will damage their trimmers.

Having said that, I'm only using the lightest weight 8" blades and limiting my cutting to brush and saplings under 1" in diameter.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I understand that the conversion kit will work on an SRM-225, I just said I would not recommend it for that trimmer. I just wanted to let you know that you are pushing the limits of the bearing in the head and the clutch and shaft.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just because you can do something does not mean it is a good idea to do it.
I can ( and have ) cut down 2" diameter saplings with my slasher ( Victa super 24 )
IT will do it all day, but the extra load causes the exhaust to carbon foul and it gobbles up blades.