Broke my shifter cable for rwd..Older Recycler 2

crazy charlie

Threads
Recent purchase of a Recycler 2 .After a few hiccups,I am very happy with this beast of a recycler.Engaging of the (old school) drive shifter was very stiff.
I shifter too hard when it wouldnt disengage and the end of the cable sheared off.Access seems a little difficult as the lever is housed enclosed in plastic housing
What now? New cable? New shifter? btw I tried locking pliers on end of sheared cable and was able to shift in and out of drive gear but it required a lot of pressure to get a small amount of movement in the cable.I am assuming the cable is very old and already needed replacing as it was always difficult to get in and out of gear.Charlie .

crazy charlie

Threads
Its a super Pro recycler 2 model 20436 ser 3907024

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it were me, I would purchase a new shift cable assembly. I would also remove the tranny and give it a good cleaning, inside and out. At 28 years old I’m willing to bet that the grease inside the tranny is hard and not doing it’s job anymore. They are very simple to service.

crazy charlie

Threads
If it were me, I would purchase a new shift cable assembly. I would also remove the tranny and give it a good cleaning, inside and out. At 28 years old I’m willing to bet that the grease inside the tranny is hard and not doing it’s job anymore. They are very simple to service.
Thanks,what is a good source for ordering the cable? to be sure I get the correct one

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I‘ve always recommended your local Toro dealer. Not only can you get the parts needed, but a valuable source for future questions. Toro part number 76-2712. This manual might also be helpful.

crazy charlie

Threads
Also is this called a "drive" cable?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
thank you for the manual. Can use it on my Toro if it ever breaks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On the parts list it’s call “CONTROL-SPEED, GROUND”