Briggs v twin valve seal replacement

Stryped

Threads
Briggs engine 44q977. How do the valve seals come out and how are new ones installed?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To the best of my knowledge, the valve seats on Briggs engines are not designed to be removed. Personally I never replaced one. I have staked them back in, as a last resort, when they have popped out due to overheating. Normally replace the head, on OHV, or short block on L-head engines.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Once the intake valves and springs are removed, you carefully pry off the seals. To install the seals you need a deep well 3/8 socket (I use a 1/4" drive socket myself). Deep well is perfer as you hold it better with smashing your fingers. Gently install the socket over seal sealing side as not damage the garter spring. Using a hammer gently drive the seal assembly on to the valve guide making sure you drive it on squarely. Then carefully remove the socket once the seal is seated and make sure the garter spring is still in place and not damaged. After this is done you reassembly the head.

And before you ask I haven't tried doing this with the heads still on the engine. Most likely the socket trick will not work once the seal on around the valve stem.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
they make a special inexpensive tool for the seals that will not distort them like a socket will. If your engine is leaking oil it may be caused by excessive blowby which may be a leaking head gasket. Oil seals these days last a long time if left unmolested or until the valve guides are worn out.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
To the best of my knowledge, the valve seats on Briggs engines are not designed to be removed. Personally I never replaced one. I have staked them back in, as a last resort, when they have popped out due to overheating. Normally replace the head, on OHV, or short block on L-head engines.
Seals.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, first cup of cup didn’t work yet. Had macular hole eye surgery yesterday and working with one eye.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
they make a special inexpensive tool for the seals that will not distort them like a socket will. If your engine is leaking oil it may be caused by excessive blowby which may be a leaking head gasket. Oil seals these days last a long time if left unmolested or until the valve guides are worn out.
Never had a problem using the 3/8" six point socket but of course I don't go hog wild installing the seals either.