Briggs torque ?

zwalls

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,new here!

I currently own a 5yr old Scag Freedom Z 48" with a BS 26hp.I cut 2 acres weekly and here in Louisiana it's about 8 to 9 months out of the yr.I have had "0" problems with the mower or the engine.

my neighbor has been bugging me to sell him my mower which would give me a good excuse to buy the new Z 52" with the larger tires and frame.with that said it would either come with a 27hp briggs & stratton commercial turf series v-twin with cyclonic air filter or a Kawasaki FS691V which I think is a 23HP.

this is homeower use only!I feel either engine would last me a very long time,and I'm a stickler for proper maintenance.the main problem I have is I cannot find any documentation on the Briggs engine torque/rpm specs anywhere.my dealer subtly pushes me towards the Kawi because of the torque ratings and claims it's just a better engine.all I can find on Briggs website is HP rating but no torque ratings.I would like to really compare the 2 engines.

I kind of like maintaining extra hp especially when and engine is called upon to turn blades,pump fluid,transmissions,wheels,etc,.I leaning towards the Briggs as of now but would really like to know what the torque ratings are for the 27 hp and any other input you guys may have!

thanks for reading my rambling!!

Z

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Engine manufacturers calculate torque and horse power at different RPM ranges. Kawasaki tends to be more conservative with their ratings than other manufacturers. I have a Scag Tiger Cub that I just repowered from a Briggs 26 HP ELS to a Briggs 30 HP Commercial Turf Series with Cyclonic Air Filtration. The original engine was having low compression in the L/H cylinder with 500 hours. The New 52"-61" Freedom Z with larger tires and more fuel capacity is an attractive machine. Bear in mind that there is a 52" Freedom Z and the New 52" Freedom Z, two somewhat different machines, know what you are looking at!!
Mad Mackie in CT

zwalls

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine manufacturers calculate torque and horse power at different RPM ranges. Kawasaki tends to be more conservative with their ratings than other manufacturers. I have a Scag Tiger Cub that I just repowered from a Briggs 26 HP ELS to a Briggs 30 HP Commercial Turf Series with Cyclonic Air Filtration. The original engine was having low compression in the L/H cylinder with 500 hours. The New 52"-61" Freedom Z with larger tires and more fuel capacity is an attractive machine. Bear in mind that there is a 52" Freedom Z and the New 52" Freedom Z, two somewhat different machines, know what you are looking at!!
Mad Mackie in CT

Yes I'm looking at the NEW 52" Freedom Z! 2 engine choices are 27 HP briggs commercial turf series with the CAF or the Kawasaki FS691V 23hp.