Briggs & Stratton, throttle linkage and governor spring location.

Paxman

Threads
  • / Briggs & Stratton, throttle linkage and governor spring location.
Hey guys!

I bought a push mower (cheep) with an older B & S engine that has not been loved by the previous owner. My plan is to restore it and sell it for a little profit (the chassi is really good quality). My problem is that I don't know how the spring for the governor is connected to the throttle and what the throttle linkage should look like. Does anyone have the same engine and might take a few pictures so I can see how it should be?

This is the mower:

IMG_3439.jpg

Regards from Sweden!
/Fred

Mkala

Threads
Hello !

For sure someone can help you there :)
Can you post the complete motor code please ? Its stamped somewhere (above the head, or above muffler, if a heat shield), like 123456-7890-XX

Pics of carb, governor arm can help too !

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Looks like a model 12 quantum.
15906959988771827270078.jpg1590696095685633982797.jpghope this is what you were looking for. The way the coiled end of the spring attaches may be slightly different on yours.

Paxman

Threads
Hello !

For sure someone can help you there :)
Can you post the complete motor code please ? Its stamped somewhere (above the head, or above muffler, if a heat shield), like 123456-7890-XX

Pics of carb, governor arm can help too !

Wow! Thanks for the answers guys! Notification ended up in my spam filter for some reason...fixed now! :giggle:

The motor code is 110788 0182-01

Pictures:

No governor spring at all:
IMG_3460.jpg

Close up:
IMG_3458.jpg

This linkage looks dodgy...I first thought some previous owner had bent up a paper clip...but now I think it's original. But the shape is hardly correct right?
IMG_3459.jpg

Looks like a model 12 quantum.
Hope this is what you were looking for. The way the coiled end of the spring attaches may be slightly different on yours.

Might be a Quantum...but I have also seen Max models that looks pretty similar.

That was a fabulous manual!! ? It will help me greatly not only with this engine but also in future projects. Thank you so much!

Looking at it...am I correct in saying that fig. 99 on page CXXX in the shop manual is my application?

Skärmavbild 2020-05-29 kl. 13.27.48.JPG

In the parts list I have found there are two springs. 618A and 209. The first is labeled "Spring, Choke return" and the second one "Spring, Governor". I only see the governor spring in fig. 99 above.

Skärmavbild 2020-05-29 kl. 13.29.09.JPG

Thank you so much guys so far! :giggle:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Governor spring is the one you need. You can bend the link back into shape. Notice that The hook up on yours and figure 99 are different. Install like the figure, as the other way you are bypassing the governor.

Paxman

Threads
Governor spring is the one you need. You can bend the link back into shape. Notice that The hook up on yours and figure 99 are different. Install like the figure, as the other way you are bypassing the governor.

Jupp...the link should go from the governor to the throttle arm plate and the spring from the coiled part of the link to the throttle plate that is manipulated by the throttle lever (sorry for my bad english wording...:rolleyes:)

I'm guessing that the coil on the link is for adjusting rpm speed. I'm concerned that I will brake the link when I start manipulating it but seeing what working environment it has, I think I can use some other wire like bailing wire and bend it to shape if things goes really bad.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That link is pretty tough and you should be able to get it back into shape if you take your time

Paxman

Threads
Thank's for all the help! I got the spring and link to work and the machine is now sold to a happy new owner! (y)