Briggs & Stratton Starter motors

Bert,

I ordered a B&S authorized replacement starter (comes in a B&S box!) - Gotta be the right one! . . . Right? . . . I'll find out soon, it's supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips on how to determine if it has the correct spur gear. I appreciate it, I will follow your suggestions...

Roger B

Let us know how things work out Roger, you really should'nt have a problem. Don't forget to be sure all your cables are clean and tight all the way back to the battery ...... :thumbsup:
 
Boobala,

Not to worry about the wiring.. I spent 10 years of my early life in electronics in the Submarine Service and then 36 more years as a Master Electrician in civilian life. After removing all the mower related equipment, I've had nothing to do on this project while waiting for the starter motor to arrive, except a little welding and repainting on the muffler cage, so I have traced out the wiring, just so I knew what all the safety switches do. I'll make sure all the contacts are clean and tight!

Should have a 'starting report' by sometime tomorrow.

Roger B
 
IT WORKS!!!

It works!

The starter arrived today early enough for me to install it and give it a whirl.. It is a 14 tooth spur gear and fits the flywheel perfectly. Now I have to figure out why the engine won't run unless I dump a little fuel into the mouth of the carburetor. It only runs for a few seconds until the fuel is burned up and then dies... As this tractor sat outside unused for two years, I suspect I may have to clean or rebuild the carb. But hey, it's a good day right? The engine turns over and fires, I'm a happy boy... so far..

Roger B
 
Re: IT WORKS!!!

It works!

The starter arrived today early enough for me to install it and give it a whirl.. It is a 14 tooth spur gear and fits the flywheel perfectly. Now I have to figure out why the engine won't run unless I dump a little fuel into the mouth of the carburetor. It only runs for a few seconds until the fuel is burned up and then dies... As this tractor sat outside unused for two years, I suspect I may have to clean or rebuild the carb. But hey, it's a good day right? The engine turns over and fires, I'm a happy boy... so far..

Roger B

Yeah Roger, we know about your fascination with electricity, ..17a2cfe2c406707581a2a52f3523607b (Large).jpg
!cid_5_3565631763@web180203_mail_gq1_yahoo.jpg nosey lil booger are'nt ya ?? ..:laughing: ..:laughing: ..:laughing: (LOL)
 
Ya Booba... I've been there and done that!! . . LOL.... But unlike 'normal' kids the shocking experience didn't deter me from becoming interested in electricity. My old man was an electrician and I think that sealed my fate..

(However, Electrician or not, I do have to admit something to you.. This tractor has a switch associated with the Forward-Neutral-Reverse lever. This switch is grounded when the lever is moved to the Reverse position and I can't for the life of me figure out what it does. You got any ideas? - I know it's something stupid, so don't tell everybody what a dumb a** I am, OK?)

Roger
 
Ya Booba... I've been there and done that!! . . LOL.... But unlike 'normal' kids the shocking experience didn't deter me from becoming interested in electricity. My old man was an electrician and I think that sealed my fate..

(However, Electrician or not, I do have to admit something to you.. This tractor has a switch associated with the Forward-Neutral-Reverse lever. This switch is grounded when the lever is moved to the Reverse position and I can't for the life of me figure out what it does. You got any ideas? - I know it's something stupid, so don't tell everybody what a dumb a** I am, OK?)

Roger

Supposed to prevent you mowing while going backwards.
Apparently you run over small children when you do that.
 
Supposed to prevent you mowing while going backwards.
Apparently you run over small children when you do that.

That's what puzzles me! I figured that the only things that would want to either operate or not operate when in Reverse were:
1.) back-up lights.. The tractor does not have back-up lights.
2.) Mower - I removed the mower deck and all associated equipment. Nothing was electrically operated, the mower was all belt drive and was mechanically operated, so what does grounding this switch actually do? How could it effect the mower?

I remain puzzled..

Roger B
 
Ya Booba... I've been there and done that!! . . LOL.... But unlike 'normal' kids the shocking experience didn't deter me from becoming interested in electricity. My old man was an electrician and I think that sealed my fate..

(However, Electrician or not, I do have to admit something to you.. This tractor has a switch associated with the Forward-Neutral-Reverse lever. This switch is grounded when the lever is moved to the Reverse position and I can't for the life of me figure out what it does. You got any ideas? - I know it's something stupid, so don't tell everybody what a dumb a** I am, OK?)

Roger

Here's another site I use, that you can get your briggs engine info from, among other things ...... your engine manual SHOULD be ( 276781 ) ......single cylinder OHV ....http://www.mytractorforum.com/280-s...ies/242387-briggs-statton-repair-manuals.html

Some more info.......http://support.mtdproducts.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10584

http://service.mtdproducts.com/Training_Education/770-10578.pdf
http://service.mtdproducts.com/Training_Education/770-10579.pdf

I have further info., ..... if I have it ......you can have it ...... Boobala

And another.......http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/#id_briggs
 
Last edited:
Ya Booba... I've been there and done that!! . . LOL.... But unlike 'normal' kids the shocking experience didn't deter me from becoming interested in electricity. My old man was an electrician and I think that sealed my fate..

(However, Electrician or not, I do have to admit something to you.. This tractor has a switch associated with the Forward-Neutral-Reverse lever. This switch is grounded when the lever is moved to the Reverse position and I can't for the life of me figure out what it does. You got any ideas? - I know it's something stupid, so don't tell everybody what a dumb a** I am, OK?)

Roger[/QU

Switch is supposed to allow you to mow in reserve when on and kill the clutch for the blades if you just put the mower in reserve. Like Boobala said if you don't use that switch you will run over small children, pets, rocks, stumps and other things when mowing in reserve.
;-)
Tom
 
Tom, Boobala, et. al.....

From the MTD manual that Boob-La hooked me up with, I figured out the wiring of my tractor. I have a standard wiring system, not the system with the electronic O.C.R. (Operator Controlled Reverse) system. The reverse switch I was wondering about does exactly what I couldn't imagine it would... It shuts the engine off if you shift into reverse with the PTO engaged! Obviously, (as everyone has pointed out) an effort to prevent you from running over children or small dogs while mowing in reverse, albeit a rather extreme method of doing so! In any event, now that I have figured out ALL the safety switches, I will be able to disconnect and/or rewire them except for the brake switch, I intend to leave it as it is, so the brake will have to be pressed in order to start the engine.

As I have removed the mower deck and all associated controlling levers, equipment, etc... I have no concerns about chopping up children or dogs, or rock and sticks, for that matter! I can back up with complete abandon! Maybe I'll add a rearview mirror!

Now I'm on the hunt for a used MTD 618-04381A transaxle...

Roger
 
Back
Top