Briggs & Stratton - Not Starting

lawnguyz

Forum Newbie
Threads
I adjusted the valves per Scrubcadet10 recommendation but the lawn mower still doesn't start. A couple of times it seemed to started but quickly died.

Any other suggestions? Thanks

tackleberry

Threads
sounds like to nme an ignition module breaking down from heat. Thats not uncommon....when it cools down the engine will start,,, then either shut down on its own due to no spark, or when you stop and change a bag or get a drink, it wont restart until the module cools down. Ignition module is do-able for a DIYer.....a business card is just right for spacing the module away from the flywheel when you install the new module.

DaveTN

Threads
Just curious how much compression you have? I have to pull my 6.75 faster than that to
get it to hit. I've got one like it that won't start from a customer. That popping sound does
sound a little like a head gasket losing compression. Could be as "tackle says", a coil
going bad. Several years ago had a twin Kohler that would pop and sputter and quit. Let
the coil cool down and it would start again but only run on 1 cylinder. I took the coil off and
put it in the freezer while I went to lunch. Came back and drove it to the shop to work on it
since it quit a long way from the house.

Threads
Make sure you have good fuel flow. Take off the bolt onthe bottom of the carb bowl, see if when the float is down if there is good flow of fuel. If you raise the float is pushed up to where it is horizontally level with the carb and the fuel shuts off completely your float is operating correctly, put the bowl and bolt back on. This leaves you with either a short in the kill switch wire or your coil. Inspect your kill wire from your coil to wherever the point where it mechanically grounds out. This can be either at your throtle linkage or with the mowers with the handle you have to depress, it will usually be on top of the flywheel where the stop brake pads are. If no fraying of the wire where it can ground out on the engine, then you have a faulty coil. I hope this helps you.

Camms61

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
My Briggs and Stratton (model 111P02-0007-F1) lawn mower does not start anymore.

It was working last Friday while I was mowing the backyard. Outside temperature was at 101 degrees F. The lawn mower stopped and would not start. I had to wait for around 10 mins or so then it would start running again. This happened 2 more times.

The last time it stopped last Friday, it never started again.

I checked everything including:
1. float bowl -> no dirt or water
2. I added gas stabilizer and fill the tank
3. I changed the air filter
4. I changed oil

Still it does not start. I wanted to check here for help before taking it to lawn service repair store.

I have recorded a video showing the sound my lawn mower is making when pull the start coil.

Please let me know if you have any ideas on what's going on.

Thanks!
I had the same problem with my Toro/Briggs & Stratton engine, it started when the engine was cool but when it was hot it cut out.
Replaced the coil and it solved the problem.

STEVES

Threads
Try new spark plug & then coil.

elmrfudd

Threads
Sure sounded like a blown head gasket to me. Heard that sound a lot over the years. The part of the gasket from cylinder to the outside edge. Double check compression.

doug9694

Threads
Hi,
My Briggs and Stratton (model 111P02-0007-F1) lawn mower does not start anymore.

It was working last Friday while I was mowing the backyard. Outside temperature was at 101 degrees F. The lawn mower stopped and would not start. I had to wait for around 10 mins or so then it would start running again. This happened 2 more times.

4. I changed oil

Still it does not start. I wanted to check here for help before taking it to lawn service repair store.

I have recorded a video showing the sound my lawn mower is making when pull the start coil.

Thanks!
Try another spark plug .Check for spark if that don't fix it.

first pull

Threads
Hi,

4. I changed oil

Thanks!
It's either fuel or fire. Just start by testing for spark then if you do have spark look to your fuel system

tackleberry

Threads
check spark when it does that...magnetos breakdown under heat..if no spark until it cools down...replace your magneto.