Briggs & Stratton Intek 190 won't start

Cougar281

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was given a Generac pressure washer that has a 6HM Briggs & Stratton Intek 190, 110432-0121-E1, date code 990302FD that I can't get to start. The initial problem was the float in the carb was stuck open, so when you turned the gas on, it would just overflow and run out the carb. It has spark, but I can't even get it to fire on ether. When it does try to fire, it seems like the combustion gasses come out both the carb and the exhaust, as if one or both valves are stuck open.

I've taken the head off, checked the valves, I lapped both valves, put it all back together, set the lash on the valves, everything appears to be in order with regards to the valve timing, the valves appear to open and close in proper sequence. the compression seems low, I could only get 60PSI or so, but if it has a compression release, that could have something to do with it. There is some minor scoring on the cylinder wall, but it didn't seem to be very deep - I couldn't catch my finger nail on any of it, so that may not have a profound effect. Right now, it's back together with the old HG, but I've done that before with small engines to make sure the engine will run before I burn a new HG, and it's never caused any issues for real short durations.

I'm told it ran fine up until it was put away a few years ago. Perhaps the carb is gummed up from the old fuel sitting in it for so long, but that wouldn't explain why it wont fire on ether.

Any thoughts on why it won't even fire on ether? Is there any other information I may have left out that might give more clues?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you checked the flywheel key. If it is partially sheared you may have spark at the wrong time. 60 psi with compression release is fine.

Cougar281

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you checked the flywheel key. If it is partially sheared you may have spark at the wrong time. 60 psi with compression release is fine.

Well, that was it... but it wasn't partially sheared... It was TOTALLY sheared off and the flywheel was about 180* from where it should be. Got a new key, put it back together and it fired right up.

What causes the key to shear? Don't they usually shear due to something going sideways like a blade hitting a stump or a pump locking up to protect the motor from damage? Wouldn't expect the flywheel key to shear like that for no apparent reason.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With a pressure washer I’ve seen them shear when the water is turned off before the engine. Pressure washers are finicky, if the internal check valves don’t operate properly the back pressure can act like hitting something with a mower.