Export thread

Briggs Stratton carb issue

B

bpt513

Hi all,
I have a B&S 19.5 hp engine 42E707 (Craftsman mower). I'm having issues with the carb. I have taken it apart many times & cleaned all the parts (jets) with a fine wire & Gumpout. I then blew out all the jets and they're all clear. When I go to start there's no gas getting into the carb. When I use Gumout on the pump it flows right into carb.

Any ideas? I have attached pics.

thanks
Brent

Attachments

R

Rivets

I am assuming that you rebuilt the pump with new gaskets and diaphragm. Did you the diaphragm correctly so that it is pulsing? Did you check the pulse line to make sure it is tight and there are no cracks? If you could hook up a gravity feed system through the pump to get the engine running and then check the pulse line to feel both pressure and suction. just some ideas.

B

bpt513

I changed all the guts on the fuel pump and tried again today. No gas getting into carb. Filled bowl with gas and it ran until gas was gone. I checked the gas line from the tank to filter to carb. Gas goes all the way through.

The issue started when I swapped out a blown engine for this one. I even brought over all wiring. When I first got it running it had to bet at 1/2 choke. The last a couple cuts. Then it goes died for lack of gas in carb. Prior to that the engine ran great on the original tractor.

Everything seems basic but I'm stuck as to why no gas in carb. I'm not a gear head but what I've done seems pretty basic stuff to get it going.

thoughts?
Brent

EngineMan

EngineMan

But have you look at the diaphragm correctly so that it is pulsing, it has been asked see above...!
unless the diaphragm is working right, fuel will not go into the carb.

B

bpt513

how do I check this? I followed the diagram that I found online to rebuild. Again, not a motor head so more descriptions the better.

thanks

Attachments

B

bpt513

Here's the link for the diagram I followed..Parts and Diagrams for Briggs and Stratton 42E707-2631-E1

EngineMan

EngineMan

In the above parts & diagrams part No 947A Fuel Solenoid.....do you know if that is working..?

B

bpt513

not sure if it has one. Where would it be? The gas line goes to a filter then into the fuel pump. I bought some hose to see if the return hose may be bad & not creating a suction.

EngineMan

EngineMan

In one of your photos there is a wire...! where does that go on the carb...?
and did you fit a new carb kit...?

B

bpt513

the wires are actually just going around the front of engine. They are not connected to carb in anyway. I did not do a carb rebuild since I did a thorough cleaning. If all parts were cleaned & holes clear what part of carb may be bad?

EngineMan

EngineMan

The diaphragm(s)
Best thing you can do, if you are saying that there is no fuel solenoid (part No 947A) is to work your way from part 434A to 394B taking your time ie take one part off at a time, look at the pic and making sure that they are fitted the right way round, (all parts) and make sure there are no hole's in the diaphragm(s) even if it is just a pin hole...! that is your fuel feed side and may well be where the problem lay...! good luck. keep at it, am sure you can fix it.

R

Rivets

If the engine was built after 1998, then you have no fuel solenoid. The first two numbers in the engine code number tell you the year it was built. Please post all numbers. The carb you have with a built in pump gets it's pulse from a passage way inside the carb, which will also be connected to the intake manifold through the passage way. Also please post the part numbers you used when you said you changed all the guts. You may have gotten the wrong parts.

B

bpt513

My tractor is at in-laws but I only replaced the guts of fuel pump. Part #393397. I know the engine was 42E707...not sure of the rest. The fuel pump kit fit perfect. Trying new intake hose tonight. Otherwise, have mechanic coming out tomorrow.

EngineMan

EngineMan

I think the No is 42E707-2631-E1 that is the No you have on that web site you uploaded, what we are trying to say to you is, if its not pulsing then there will be no fuel pump into carb. That is where you need to look.