Briggs & Stratton 550EX won't run now

I'm positive I do, I took the spark plug out and grounded it and turned the flywheel and it has spark. It just seems like no fuel is getting into the chamber, no matter how much carb cleaner I spray in their, I pull the plug and it's bone dry... so I am assuming I've got a stuck valve...

I just can't get the damn valve cover off.
 
I'm positive I do, I took the spark plug out and grounded it and turned the flywheel and it has spark. It just seems like no fuel is getting into the chamber, no matter how much carb cleaner I spray in their, I pull the plug and it's bone dry... so I am assuming I've got a stuck valve...

I just can't get the damn valve cover off.

Just because it sparked when grounded outside, does not mean it does inside cylinder...probably is.
An inline spark tester verifies for sure.

But your dry plug is evidence...
If you pull plug and spray a little starting fluid in cylinder, replace plug...does it start momentarily?
 
Just remove the valve cover. Rubber mallet, thin putty knife. Tap the valve cover with rubber mallet and if that does not wort work putty knife between valve cover and head till it comes off.
 
How exactly does an inline spark tester tell you if it's sparking in the cylinder?

Mikel1
Since you put it that why...I guess it doesn't.

I was think that if It was running and sparking it must be.
If motor is not running then, it does not give that indication.
So, in conclusion it is the fact that the motor is running is proof it is firing in the cylinder.
But, I have heard of plugs that fire by grounding to case but not under compression...is that true?
 
Mikel1
Since you put it that why...I guess it doesn't.

I was think that if It was running and sparking it must be.
If motor is not running then, it does not give that indication.
So, in conclusion it is the fact that the motor is running is proof it is firing in the cylinder.
But, I have heard of plugs that fire by grounding to case but not under compression...is that true?
Yes that is right.
I think your on the right track with trying the starting fluid in the cylinder.
You need fuel, compression, spark, and timing to run.:thumbsup:
 
How exactly does an inline spark tester tell you if it's sparking in the cylinder?

If it is not passing from the plug to ground there will be no circuit so the tester will not light.

Back in the old days plug makers used to supply a testing machine which was a cylinder with a spark plug hole and a window to watch it.
You hooked it up to an airline then increased the pressure inside .
The plug was fired by a trembler coil so sparked continiously.
As you increased the pressure the spark started to break up then eventually went out because the spark did not have enough energy to jump the gap in the plug to complete the circuit to ground.

An in line tester will only flash if this circuit is completed.
What it will not tell you is if the spark is jumping the gap or running down the side of the electrode
 
If it is not passing from the plug to ground there will be no circuit so the tester will not light.

Back in the old days plug makers used to supply a testing machine which was a cylinder with a spark plug hole and a window to watch it.
You hooked it up to an airline then increased the pressure inside .
The plug was fired by a trembler coil so sparked continiously.
As you increased the pressure the spark started to break up then eventually went out because the spark did not have enough energy to jump the gap in the plug to complete the circuit to ground.

An in line tester will only flash if this circuit is completed.
What it will not tell you is if the spark is jumping the gap or running down the side of the electrode
Inline testers in Australia must be different than in the USA. The inline neon tester can hang there ungrounded with other side into ignition coil and spark while turning over. I know this because I have done this.
 
Back
Top