Briggs&Stratton 10.0 Genpower - No fuel

Patch85

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all, so I have a B&S 10.0 Genpower engine that is not getting fuel to the spark plug. After pull starting for some time and pulling the plug, it is dry, no fuel smell either. It has a brand new carb on it, the bowl is full on the carb, compression and spark are good. I have adjusted the needle on the carb to run rich also. Am I missing something, any possible places to start looking? It is on a generator with the tank mounted above, the fuel pump was removed at some point so I just ran a fuel line to the new carb to gravity feed, could that be part of the issue also? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Rocky J

Threads
does your carb have a electric solenoid on the bottom ? Have you removed the hose from the carb to see if gas is coming through the hose ?

DunDikke

Threads
Does the engine start iff you spray some carbcleaner in the intake?
Does it have a electric solenoid on the carburetor that might not be working?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Generators with the solenoid usually are always open, where riding mowers the solenoid is always closed. On generators it uses the residual power produced when the genset is turned off to close the solenoid, but opens back up when the generator stops. Does the new carb have the correct solenoid

Patch85

Forum Newbie
Threads
does your carb have a electric solenoid on the bottom ? Have you removed the hose from the carb to see if gas is coming through the hose ?
No electric solenoid that I am aware of. Not sure exactly what type or where the solenoid would be. Gas is flowing through the hose when it is removed from the carb. Thanks.

Patch85

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does the engine start iff you spray some carbcleaner in the intake?
Does it have a electric solenoid on the carburetor that might not be working?
Spraying starter fluid into the spark plug hole will get it to sputter but that's about it.

Patch85

Forum Newbie
Threads
For more info this is a mid 90's Generac 5500 Generator. With a Briggs 10.0 Genpower engine.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Maybe at this point we would do better if we had the model number of the engine as well as the model number of the generator so we can see what you are working on.

Patch85

Forum Newbie
Threads
Maybe at this point we would do better if we had the model number of the engine as well as the model number of the generator so we can see what you are working on.
The engine is a Genpower 10.0 model# 19G412. The Generator is a Generac model# 09719-3. Thanks again for any help.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
OK looks like this is an older L head Briggs engine. The flat heads were bad for losing the valve clearances over time causing the valves not seat properly. May be time to remove the head, and the breather cover on the side and check the valve clearances. May have to remove the carb and air box to get access the breather cover.