briggs quattro rpm & throttle setup

The G-Man

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone. I have a briggs 4hp Quattro (10A902 2271 E1) that I am trying to repair.

The governor setup had been tampered with and the carb needed a cleaning. I have replaced the governor springs. The carb is now clean and it runs but seems to be a little fast.

It has a lever style throttle control. When the lever is in the "slow" position it runs around 2500-2600rpm and at full throttle it runs around 3330rpm. I thought it should run around 3200rpm at full throttle. (Rpm readings were done with a tiny tach).

image-1776351479.jpg

Any advice on what rpm readings should be at low and full throttle? How would I go about adjusting the max rpm?

The G-Man

Forum Newbie
Threads
I forgot to mention the throttle is at full throttle in the pic.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The actual running speed is set my the mower company, not Briggs.
3300 is fine for a high idle but 2200 is a tad fast for the low idle.
Usually around the 1500 to 1800 mark.
ME thinks you may have an air leak .
That long induction tube is prone to cracking, warping and the tiny bolt ge over tightened & the threads stripped so it leaks at the gaskets.

The G-Man

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, that makes sense. I did notice some gas leaking between the carb and gas tank when I ran it today. Could that cause the high rpm? I tried doubling the gasket in case the tank is warped but it didn't help. I wonder if the diaphram has a wrinkle in it from installation. Thanks for the reply by the way.