Briggs Quantum Weak Spark

mikey11

Threads
i have a briggs and stratton 650 series quantum engine, only 2-3 years old, the engine would start randomly/once in awhile and other times would not start, this has been occuring for about 6 months, when the engine DOES start it will run fine till i shut it off, then will not start again until it has fully cooled down (the next day),

i have been slowly trying to isolate the problem, the carb is clean and fine, the choke is functioning properly, compression very good,

i have finally found the problem of a very weak or intermittent spark, i cleaned the flywheel and the coil assembly, and set the proper gap, still no improvement,

i took the coil to a repair shop and they tested it and said its fine, he even showed me while he was testing it with a spark tester,

the only thing left i can think of are the magnets on the flywheel, but i dont know how to guage if they are strong enough or not, i have removed the flywheel and there seems to be three magnets?

the middle/center magnet is VERY STRONG and will pull a screwdriver from about an inch away and hold it there, the two side magnets are very noticeably alot weaker, they will not pull the screwdriver in and will not hold a screwdriver by themselves, i notice a very slight attraction but definitely not as strong as the center magnet,

is it normal for the side magnets to be weaker like this? or could this be my problem?

i dont want to blow the money on a new flywheel if its not the problem

thanks in advance,

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't think it is the magnets. I suspect the coil. Even though it tested good, it was not hot. Ask the dealer if he has a used one you can try. (Electrical parks are normally not returnable). If the engine starts and runs with the used coil, go back and purchase a new one from him. Reward him for helping you. Also, try removing the kill wire from the coil and try cutting for 15 minutes and then try restarting. You may have a bad kill wire causing the problem.

mikey11

Threads
Don't think it is the magnets. I suspect the coil. Even though it tested good, it was not hot. Ask the dealer if he has a used one you can try. (Electrical parks are normally not returnable). If the engine starts and runs with the used coil, go back and purchase a new one from him. Reward him for helping you. Also, try removing the kill wire from the coil and try cutting for 15 minutes and then try restarting. You may have a bad kill wire causing the problem.

thanks, i have removed the kill wire it did not change anything, the mower will not start at all now for over 3 days

mikey11

Threads
i guess i will take my chances and buy a new coil, that seems more logical than the magnets going bad, but it still bothers me that the two outside magnets seem weak to me, i would like to know if this is normal or not :frown:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I cannot remember if I have ever had magnets go bad. Never checked difference outside to inside. A new coil should do the trick.

mikey11

Threads
I cannot remember if I have ever had magnets go bad. Never checked difference outside to inside. A new coil should do the trick.

thanks, i ordered the coil today, i will update after i install it :smile:

mikey11

Threads
just an update....it turned out to be the coil afterall....

i picked it up today and installed it....starts first pull everytime :smile:

thanks