Briggs plastic gas tank question

Ocean909

Threads
I just rescued a newer Briggs that was headed for scrap due to a carb issue. When I tipped the mower to change the oil, some gas escaped from the top of the tank where a little fitting?? has been snapped off. I've seen this type of tank before but never with the little fitting. It goes into the air cleaner housing.

I'm not crazy about spending $50 on a new tank for an unknown mower. So other options or advice would be appreciated.
Model is 103MO2 and I've attached a pic of the tank and circled the fitting

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 64

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Need model & serial #'s from mower as well as B&S model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx, code xxxxxxxx from engine. Is mower a Murray, Sears Craftsman?

Ocean909

Threads
Part number for the tank is 594112 superseded to 84004115
Mower is Husq 96145003500
Briggs engine 103M02-0070-F1

I'm wondering if this is a tank vent of some sort.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are correct, it is a tank vent, which isn’t used on most engines.

Ocean909

Threads
You are correct, it is a tank vent, which isn’t used on most engines.
Thanks for the reply. So I guess this takes the place of a cap vent for emissions? I'm no engineer but it seems really dumb to place a thin plastic tube into an area that is frequently messed with.

Would sealing this hole and using a vented cap be a solution? The used tanks on ebay are going for around $50 and I'd like to avoid it if possible.
Again thanks for the reply and any ideas. Its greatly appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To my knowledge, gas caps are not interchangeable. I wouldn’t seal it off, but would keep checking with your local repair shop to find a used tank. Should be plenty around very cheap.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
might be an emissions thing like on cars where the venting is burned. Also if the venting is filtered, it might keep dust out of the tank.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
after studying your photo, you might have two additional solutions. One is to use some kind of flexible hose such is as used on 2-cycle fuel tanks where the hose goes thru a small hole and seals itself. The other would be to epoxy in a small piece of brass tubing in that spot. You might even find a small inexpensive minature threaded barb that could be used such as https://www.mcmaster.com/products/miniature-pipe-fittings/

Ocean909

Threads
Thanks for the replies and Ideas.

@Rivets I'll definitely give a shop a try, but they are getting harder to find. Had three close up in the last 5 years or so.

@sgkent that's a good idea. I have some black tygon line that may work. I just wonder if there's something in the end of that tip keeps the gas from pouring out freely when tipped up. Looks like this is may be a common problem as I've seen two for sale on ebay with broken breathers.

Again thanks!

Forest#2

Threads
You can maybe rig a Homelite duckbill vent.
It's used in the fuel tank and fuel cap of chainsaws plus others.