Briggs O.H.V. 17.5

Butch1957

Threads
ON this Briggs OHV, It has a Nikki Carburetor. I have cleaned it throughly several times and when running it Sputters and Coughs. It is the carby for sure. I have gapped the valves and I have replaced the timing key. Everything checks out but when I reeve up the engine it sputters alot.

Any idea / Comments ?

Please respond.

Thanks.

Ref: 31c707
0230-e1

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are you sure it is the carb and not the spark plug misfiring, or ignition module not gapped properly, or faulty.

twinfords

Threads
whe you say cleaned the carb do you mean rebuild it? if not do it. could be misfire as well, did you adjust the valves @ 1/4 past TDC? also head gasket good?

Butch1957

Threads
This mower / engine had old gas and the carby seemed pretty clean, other than it stunk a bit like stale fuel. everything inside the carby seemed real clean. it has a new head gasket and the exhaust valve is set at .06 on clearance and the intake at .04 at TDC. I pulled the coil and i sanded the contacts along as the flywheel and re-gapped the air gap at Business Card thickness. I also put a new Plug ( OHV ) and I also replaced the timing key and the fuel that was in the gas tank.

It runs at idle speed but rough and sputters when i excelerate it. Seems like it is fuel / carby related. It has a Nikki Bowl type carburetor. I just do not know what else to do.

Thanks.

Schmiedl

Threads
Does it have a fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb?

Last edited:

Shedmechanic

Threads
High Speed circuit has some type of obstruction in it. Rebuild carb or get a new one.