Briggs Motor difficult to turn over

Your right that motor does have solid lifters no adjustment to make. I would check the valve and seat area its simple to do its a flat head most times u can reuse the head gasket for a while atleast to see if that is the problem after 20 years I'm going to say it looks bad in there
 
With bad valve, would it be hard to turn the flywheel at all or does that only mean a harder compression stroke? It runs great when it cranks. It starts easier with a car battery but I had my mower battery checked and it's fine.

I know this a dumb question but I haven't pulled anything off before other than the carb. Are the valves beneath the part that the spark plug screws into? If I get a new, how does the old one come out and are there other adjustments to make?
 
Where the spark plug threads in is the head should have 6 to 8 or so 1/2 bolts in it unscrew it and look at the valves when then head is off u can spin the motor easily there is also a breather cover on the side of the engine take that off and you can see the gap on the valves between the lifter and the valve if u google briggs 281700 click on the first parts diagram and u can see the lay out of the motor if the gap is more than 5 to 10 thousands that will cause a hard start
 
Back
Top