Briggs Leaking Oil

Mr-Mom

Threads
Well, the gasket arrived today and I reassembled the engine. After cleaning both the block and the oil pan, I greased the surfaces and pressed the gasket into position on the block. I carefully lowered the oil pan down and torqued the bolts in a criss-cross pattern. After getting the motor back on the cassis and putting all the other bits back in place I started it up. It was difficult to start and I think there is an ignition problem that I'm going to start a new post about. I ran the mower long enough to get it up to full temperature AND THE DARN THING IS STILL LEAKING! The oil leak does not seem as bad as before, but it is right in the same area with the same symptoms of oil seeping down onto the mower chassis just below the piston cylinder and somewhat to the muffler side.

There aren't any other sources for this oil that I haven't checked and put new gaskets on. I looked at the block and oil pan and there were no obvious cracks or other defects that could leak. The gasket surfaces of both parts were not severely gouged or otherwise damaged. I'm at a loss as to where the oil is coming from. I guess I'm going to have to learn to live with it and be sure to top the oil up from time to time.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Dang it, i hate to hear that.
The only thing/places it could leak oil are the sump gasket, the valve cover gasket, top and lower oil seal.
You did say you replaced the breather and breather gasket, right?

Mr-Mom

Threads
Yep. Both are brand new and I applied a coat of gasket sealer on the gasket. I'm pretty sure that's not my source, especially since the oil seems to be accumulating somewhat in front of the oil breather. It's a mystery.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Unless you try what startech said with the dye and uve light

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Any chance it's leaking from the top seal, under the flywheel, running down the side under the tin?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Screenshot_20201202-163838_Chrome.jpg
When you installed the breather gasket did you by chance block the 2 little slots in the gasket? These are oil drainback passages. If they are filled with gasket sealer or such it defeats the breather from separating oil out of the crankcase vapors. Some engines will leak oil from the breather if they are blocked.