Briggs, Kaw, or Kohler?

Bobster75

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey , new member Bobster75. I am looking at ZT's for 2 1/2 acres. Looking at semi commercial Husky w/Kaw FR series, JD w/ Briggs cyclonic, and a few others w/ Kohlers. My question is which would be the most problem free? I currently have a Briggs 20 hp Intek rider 12 years old w/ several pushrod issues over the years . I consider this engine well cared for (oil changed 2X yearly) I have read that the JD briggs engine is just an upgraded Intek. All input would be greatly appreciated as the mowing season is soon.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On this type of equipment I would go with the Kohler or Kaw. Take a look at the Toro Titan. Briggs issues with rods was solved many years ago.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
They are all good engines. Me personally would put Kawasaki last on the list because it seems I get the most major problems in my shop with Kawasaki and parts are very expensive.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have not had any problems with the Kaws we run on the Toro z's here, but you are right parts are expensive.

Black Bart

Threads
I bought a new JD with Kaw engine back in 1985 25 years and nothing but one spark plug. :thumbsup:

If I had a choice I would buy a Kaw, always starts don't use any oil just keeps running.

Bobster75

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any thoughts on the 28 hp Briggs endurance series engine ? I understand it is an Intek upgraded. How about the pushrod problems my Intek had? Wiill I be OK with this on my MZ6128zt? I am leaning away from the Kohler and Kaw.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In reading previous posts I now assume that you have switched from getting a different unit to replacing the engine on your present unit. For me your model number means nothing with out a brand name. Are you going to pay $1500 on a new engine for a used unit? Time to start thinking about which way to go.