Briggs head gasket, which side against block?

briggs

Threads
I had the Briggs & Stratton gaskets in my hand, then noticed the difference from one side to another. I didn't pay attention to the bolt pattern at the time, just the gasket was different from one side to another. On auto engines it does matter which way they go on as many are stamped "up" etc. So I made the post after an exhaustive search that would not answer my question. Only after I was hands on the motor did I realize it goes on only one way.

So if I wasted your 30 seconds of life reading a bull crap topic, oh well, sorry about that! I will try harder to please ya next time! :confused2:

Tigercat Don't worry about what he has to say ..U asked a Question that was valid . U.Didn't know so u asked some of the old timers are crusty ....I have been in the auto and small engine trade for 25 plus years i have my class A ticket and my small engine ticket ..I don't answer allot on here because of people like that..Sometimes i will privet message people and tell them how to fix there prob so i don't have to tell the snotty ones off as i have no patience for them ..I spend more time on my own forum helping people here in Canada and i dont allow my members to treat others with disrespect if they do i tell them to join my tractor forum.com or another one and tell them to please remove themselves from mine ....THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION THAT IS WHAT THE FORUM IS FOR and half of them forget they didn't know everything when they started in the trade or fixing stuff as a hobby ....Glad u got it fixed ...Cheers :thumbsup:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tigercat Don't worry about what he has to say ..U asked a Question that was valid . U.Didn't know so u asked some of the old timers are crusty ....I have been in the auto and small engine trade for 25 plus years i have my class A ticket and my small engine ticket ..I don't answer allot on here because of people like that..Sometimes i will privet message people and tell them how to fix there prob so i don't have to tell the snotty ones off as i have no patience for them ..I spend more time on my own forum helping people here in Canada and i dont allow my members to treat others with disrespect if they do i tell them to join my tractor forum.com or another one and tell them to please remove themselves from mine ....THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION THAT IS WHAT THE FORUM IS FOR and half of them forget they didn't know everything when they started in the trade or fixing stuff as a hobby ....Glad u got it fixed ...Cheers :thumbsup:

So many young one's talk out of they're back side's, it seems that we yet another one, you say you are "I am a jack of all trades" bet you are master of none of them.

briggs

Threads
So many young one's talk out of they're back side's, it seems that we yet another one, you say you are "I am a jack of all trades" bet you are master of none of them.

LMAO Class A ticket means i can work on cars,transports,buses etc small engine ticket means i can work on lawnmowers to boats and just for **** and giggles i got my welding ticket to.. I also own 3 race cars witch i build on my own and race ...Yes i am only 40 and still young but i will not give newbies a hard time i have 3 teens working for me at my small engine shop they are co-op students i like passing on the knowledge to others heck in high school i taught the adult class because of my high marks and they ran out of stuff for me to do i completed everything from building car engines boat motors lawnmowers snowmobiles and every other thing they could throw at me passed with 98% in all my tech courses and went to trade school with a scholarship and a 98% average to boot ...I started working on cars boats and lawn mowers with my dad when i was 8 he was a millwright (for 43 years ) and he taught me allot and was a great teacher he always said if u don't know ask there is no such thing as a stupid Question ...Am i a master of any of my trades no i am not as u never stop learning because of the new stuff that keeps coming out am i smart I don't know but i run a very successful small engine and used parts shop... I do not know everything and i am not afraid to ask if i don't know ... I will not talk down to beginners or belittle them they come here ASKING FOR ADVISE not sarcasm or to be told they are stupid or the question is dumb ..U remind me of one of my first shop teachers i ever had he thought he was god and new everything and would blast u for asking a Question ...He quit when he got shown up by a 15 year old kid lol and we got a better shop teacher then and that 15 year old kid was his left hand man gee i wonder who that was :thumbsup: all i am saying is let up on them a little they want to learn too ..I bet u didn't know everything when u started the trade and asked some pretty dumb questions i know i did

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Briggs, you missed one key point when you said there are no stupid questions. I agree there are no stupid question, but sometimes a person shouldn't answer them as the questioner may not be smart enough to use the answer safely. Like you I have taught engine repair to individuals ages 10-75 (middle school to adult tech school) and many times I refused to answer stupid questions, be cause the individual could get hurt when trying to use the answer. In this case a person who cannot tell how to install a head gasket (in my opinion) is in over their head. This is not a classroom where I can watch what the individual is doing and correct mistakes before something serious occurs. When giving answers I have to assume that the questioner has the mechanical ability to complete the job SAFELY. It's like pouching jets, disabling safety switches, modifying parts, each of these can get someone hurt and very seldom will I give out this info, unless I am pretty sure the individual knows what they are doing. There are about a dozen members on this forum who keep posting threads on this forum and others who fit into this category and I have told them so, plus now refuse to answer any of the questions, not because the question is stupid, but the questioner is not smart enough to know how to handle the answer. As you stated you have been doing this for many years and know what you are doing. So do us old farts, but our experiences have taught us that there are exceptions to every rule and sometimes there are STUPID QUESTIONS. Don't blame us for calling them out, our experiences tell us we have to.

briggs

Threads
Briggs, you missed one key point when you said there are no stupid questions. I agree there are no stupid question, but sometimes a person shouldn't answer them as the questioner may not be smart enough to use the answer safely. Like you I have taught engine repair to individuals ages 10-75 (middle school to adult tech school) and many times I refused to answer stupid questions, be cause the individual could get hurt when trying to use the answer. In this case a person who cannot tell how to install a head gasket (in my opinion) is in over their head. This is not a classroom where I can watch what the individual is doing and correct mistakes before something serious occurs. When giving answers I have to assume that the questioner has the mechanical ability to complete the job SAFELY. It's like pouching jets, disabling safety switches, modifying parts, each of these can get someone hurt and very seldom will I give out this info, unless I am pretty sure the individual knows what they are doing. There are about a dozen members on this forum who keep posting threads on this forum and others who fit into this category and I have told them so, plus now refuse to answer any of the questions, not because the question is stupid, but the questioner is not smart enough to know how to handle the answer. As you stated you have been doing this for many years and know what you are doing. So do us old farts, but our experiences have taught us that there are exceptions to every rule and sometimes there are STUPID QUESTIONS. Don't blame us for calling them out, our experiences tell us we have to.

i do agree with some of what u are saying ...But there are some people that don't have the ability like we do to understand or come by it like we did ..They need help ..As for safety issues i will admit i am very sticky about that stuff i wont tell anyone to do something that is not safe to do i have let kids go because of not being safe ...my point was he asked a question and he ended up doing the job and it worked ..he forgot witch way the gasket went and could not tell us so other people don't make the same mistake it happens heck i have done it myself lol (Mondays) i hope that all of us on here can make this Forum a awesome place to be ..I used to be on my Tractorfourm.com but i left there because of stuff like this i could not stand it anymore every other thread was like this got to be to much ...well off to the shop to work on some snow blowers that white stuff is coming soon have a great day eh

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree. Very well said