Briggs flywheel scored by pick up coil

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
During routine maint I noticed scuffing on the outside circumf of the Intek flywheel, enough that the head of several magnet hold-down screws were shaved. The leading edges (right side) of the pick up coils had moved inward and were touching. Bad mechanic (me) ? The hold down screws are small dia and I am afraid to crank 'em. I use a business card or thin plastic to get the .005-,010" clearance. My inch pound torque wrench started at 50 in lbs, but yesterday I bought an H-Frt 1/4" drive unit on sale ($10) that starts at 20 in lbs. I will look at the value in the Intek manual and try the new wrench. ( A decade ago I swore off H-Frt t wrenches when one fell apart on me, but the reviews on this little guy are good and the same wrench is sold as high as $29). No noise or bad running with this contact, but my trimmer died with this problem. :drink:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Intek manual says tighten the coil hold down screws (8mm) to 25 in lbs. I used the H-Frt wrench . I had put about 30-35 in lbs on using no lever arm on the 3/8 socket driver.