Briggs engine smoking

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Was driving over to my son's place the other day when the 2014 John Deere D110 started to smoke. It has a 19hp Briggs and Stratton with regular maintenance. I had just changed the oil and thought maybe I had put too much oil in but it is burning oil as the oil keeps going down on dipstick. Any suggestions like an oil additive to loosen up a stuck ring before I have to tear it down and check the oil ring. Mower only has a 100hrs on it. Using conventional Pennzoil 10w30

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check your consumer warranty on engine before touching engine.

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
So it was the head gasket, removed cleaned and installed new gasket, run good now.
thumbnail_IMG_2336.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2336.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2337.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2338.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2339.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2340.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2341.jpg

rd65

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you heard of any real fix for this problem? Is the updated gasket a cure or does it just take longer for it to go? I just replaced the head gasket on my Craftsman Intek powered mower last August and am already getting the tell tale smoke signs. The gasket I used last year was an Amazon cheapy, have a OEM Briggs to use this time though.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most times you need to skim the head & barrel if there is tracking between the cylinder & the push rod tunnel .
For real problem mowers I got Lanni at CoppergasketsUS to cut me come solid copper ones.
Only about twice the price of Briggs ones .
Down side is if the engine hydro locks then there is a better than average chance of bending the con rod or cracking the head