Briggs - Breather venting to air filter kills engine - Husqvarna

Kapala

Forum Newbie
I have a 4 year old Husqvarna walk-behind with a B&S 175cc engine (111P02-0116-F1). engine wouldn't start - started trouble shooting and found that when the breather tube was disconnected from the air-filter housing the engine would run. With engine running, i would ease the breather tube back into the air-filter housing and the engine would quit. No oil seems to be coming out of breather, but perhaps there is some exhaust coming through that is starving the engine? i did see some wisps of white smoke coming from the breather tube, but almost to thin to see. Engine also backfires through exhaust pipe when engine shuts down. Any ideas?

thank you!

-BK
 
Check the oil and see if it smells like gas. Gas fumes through the breather will act like a choke closed causing a rich run issue.
 
Thanks for the replys:

cpurvis - air filter is original, but not that bad - However, I am replacing it.

ILENGINE - I'll give the oil a sniff tonight. I plan on pumping the oil out and replacing it this weekend. if there is gas in the oil, could this be a symptom of a carburetor that needs cleaning?
 
Thanks for the replys:

cpurvis - air filter is original, but not that bad - However, I am replacing it.

ILENGINE - I'll give the oil a sniff tonight. I plan on pumping the oil out and replacing it this weekend. if there is gas in the oil, could this be a symptom of a carburetor that needs cleaning?

that would mean gas is leaking and getting into the engine either through the breather or past the rings.
 
Back
Top