Briggs and Stratton V Twin Front Engine Oil Leak Only On Downhill Grade

jmerritt

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton V Twin Front Engine Oil Leak Only On Downhill Grade
I have a B&S V twin that has a small oil leak at the front of the engine when going downhill. Everything else with this engine is excellent. Could it be the engine breather since that sets at the front of the engine?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Could be the breather, intake gasket or head gasket. The oil to come to the front of the engine and drip on the muffler when going downhill. I suggest you clean and degrease and dry the engine and then watch to see where the oil is coming from.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Leaks are much easier to find when the engine is clean and an UV tracer dye is used. Many leaks are not where you expect them.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use the old fashion farmer method. Clean and dry the area I suspect and throw flour or spray powder all over that area. Run the unit and you can back track the oil to its source. This works extremely well when you have hydraulic or other clear fluids. Shows my age.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Same story from me as Rivets , cement dust , face powder any fine dust you can get on there.

Tinkerer200

Threads
These engines are notorious for sump gasket leak under the right hand cylinder when facing the cylinder heads. Good advice above on checking for sure where the leak is. IF sump leak, expensive gasket set to fix ~ $30 - $35. I can send you a Service Manual IF you like, address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5@frontier.com

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Leaks are much easier to find when the engine is clean and an UV tracer dye is used. Many leaks are not where you expect them.

UV tracer dye? Are we back to the space shuttle again? LOLOLOLOL

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What??? Haven't you ever used or heard of the UV dye that you put in the engine's oil to find oil leaks. The one I use needs a 465 nM ultra violet light source to light it up. I have engines where the oil appeared to be behind the flywheel to only for to be somewhere else like the oil cap seal. It also can be left in the engine. This really help on a pressure washer that developed a secondary oil a week later I found the initial leak. Oil was a secondary leak from the pressure pump instead of the engine as no UV dye wasn't present in the new oil puddle.

There also a version for the coolant systems which is why I know where my truck engine is leaking antifreeze. Some idoit used RTV and didn't it cure before putting the water/antifreeze back in so I got an intake manifold leak.

One thing about this is the light pen and glasses they provide in the kits is worthless. I had the UV wavelength light source that was strong enough to light the UV dye in full sunlight.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
What??? Haven't you ever used or heard of the UV dye that you put in the engine's oil to find oil leaks.

Nope. I've always just cleaned them and look for the oil.