Briggs and Stratton/tecumseh TVXL220-157245D lock issue

jwoot

Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton/tecumseh TVXL220-157245D lock issue
Hello!

I am currently trying to fix/rebuild a craftsman riding mower. The mower has a motor marked as a 10hp briggs and stratton engine. After looking around I found this was a tecumseh TVXL220-157245D motor. I decided to pull the motor off when the mower started to make a fairly loud knocking sound.
Given that this is a fairly old mower, I decided to tear it apart and fix it. {or try :) } Either way...this is more for fun than anything else.

When I tore into the mower, I found that the old connector rod was is pretty rough shape and had a lot of slop. I ordered another connector rod and started to assemble the engine. Everything seemed to go back together right, but I noticed an oddity when trying to turn the engine over {by hand} If I cranked the engine in a counter clockwise manner, everything seems to work properly {piston/lifters/etc}. If I turn it clockwise, it will make one full rotation of the piston/lifters and then locks.

I then thought....maybe the starter would turn counter clockwise. As it turns out, I found the starter would turn the motor/flywheel clockwise. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I have installed wrong? I know another tear down is coming, but I figured I would ask first :)

jwoot

Threads
I am half wondering if this has to do with the "oil pump". According to a number of sites, this engine has a splash pump. I couldn't really see any specific way of installing this, aside from simply putting it on the Camshaft (MCR). Thoughts?

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
does it have governor? ....if its assembled wrong..it could do that....damn?..something aint right...well youll find out sooner or later:laughing:....tell us when you find it!

jwoot

Threads
It does have a centrifical govener. I think I have that part right, but the more I think about it I ththink I have a problem with the splash pump. Something isn't right. :)

I'll post more when I have time to tear it apart

originalswampfox

Threads
It's hard to come up with the difference between clockwise lock and counterclockwise turning free. A key could be worn and allowing a gear to shift. Some of those engines have a mechanical compression release that releases compression when starting, centrifugal force moves the pin away from the cam when the engine is starts this lever could be the problem. The oil pump does attach to the cam shaft but it also is inserted in a hole in the block. below is a link to the service manual maybe it will help. Let us know how it turns out.

Tecumseh Service Manual

jwoot

Threads
Ok...so it is Saturday and I finally have some free time to work on this :)

I have torn the motor apart again and I have a few pictures this time. I am thinking that part of the problem is how I have the splash pump installed and I most likely have the timing off by a bit.

Alignment
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/UHmbY48REL3w4Xlgd9zV8iSLFDPfOfRO8rsg6rFbKQY?feat=directlink

Spash Pump
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/uE9k-f_Z052jcQ2PH8pD6SSLFDPfOfRO8rsg6rFbKQY?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/jMVqL8eJrJiMq1_BGLszsSSLFDPfOfRO8rsg6rFbKQY?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/UHmbY48REL3w4Xlgd9zV8iSLFDPfOfRO8rsg6rFbKQY?feat=directlink

Thoughts?

jwoot

Threads

jwoot

Threads
I just put everything back together and it appears to be working both ways when turned by hand {via flywheel}.

I had the pump installed wrong, and the timing was off a bit {according to manual}

I am hoping to have this running on the bench in the morning. Should either work, or be a spectacular failure and a good story :) More to come....

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
great pics!...i hope you got it:thumbsup:

originalswampfox

Threads
Thanks for the replies I hate not knowing the end of the story