Briggs and Stratton starts and dies

drjulian

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a briggs & stratton walk behind mower 500e. It is less then 2 years old with about 15 hours on it. It is used only for edging as we have other mowers for the bulk of the acreage. Whenever I add fuel I also add stabilizer.

The mower will no longer run. When I prime it, it starts immediately on one pull, but within a few seconds dies.

After researching the problem I have done the following:

1. Emptied the fuel and refilled with fresh fuel
2. Disassembled the carb and checked and cleaned all the jets and holes
3. Cleaned the air filter
4. Check the fuel lines for clogs and leaks
5. Checked and cleaned the spark plug
6. Verified the oil is full

None of my remedies made a difference.

What is making me crazy is that I can saturate the air filter with fuel and it will run for 4 or 5 minutes before dying, so it seems there is a fuel delivery problem, but, as mentioned I cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel. I have verified that the bowl is filling up with fuel (opened the drainage port and fuel pours out).

I have read that a coil issue could be the cause of start and die, however, since it runs for several minutes with air filter saturated with fuel, it seems that the problem is fuel delivery.

Can someone suggest what I might look at or do next to resolve this frustrating issue. It was an inexpensive home depot mower, but with minimal use over less then two years, it is hard to believe it needs to be replaced.

Thank you

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Model number of the mower/engine so I don't make a fool of my self trying to help.:smile:

drjulian

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model number of the mower/engine so I don't make a fool of my self trying to help.:smile:

thank you for reply.

The plate reads:

Yard Machine
21"
Briggs and Stratton
500E
series
140 cc

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
How to find real model number.
youtube.com/watch?v=2jXOwxRbPpA

drjulian

Forum Newbie
Threads
How to find real model number.
youtube.com/watch?v=2jXOwxRbPpA

There are no numbers in any of the places shown in the video, but the bar code on the side takes me to the briggs website with this
model number:

09P602-0023-F1

20160606_155933.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a sneaky suspicion that the 500E motor is made in China.
I had a hell of a job finding information on it.
The B & S web site down here refused to acknowledge any of the numbers on the engine as did the B & S USA site.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is a good model number, so you can get parts, Carb overhaul kit number is 590589 or 594636, depending on the date code. That carb has only been around 2-3 years and can be a devil if you are not careful. From your description, I would be checking the float level and adjusting it slightly rich. Also, the seals and gaskets like to roll, be careful assembling it.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/29jnwHP.1FzXFix2.pdf
On page 4 did you clean 117 and replace 105 both pieces?

drjulian

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is a good model number, so you can get parts, Carb overhaul kit number is 590589 or 594636, depending on the date code. That carb has only been around 2-3 years and can be a devil if you are not careful. From your description, I would be checking the float level and adjusting it slightly rich. Also, the seals and gaskets like to roll, be careful assembling it.

Thank you for replying.
I do not think there is any adjustment for rich or lean, but I will check again.
The float appears to be working ok.

drjulian

Forum Newbie
Threads
bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/29jnwHP.1FzXFix2.pdf
On page 4 did you clean 117 and replace 105 both pieces?

#117 did have some clogged holes in it. I disassembled it (2 pieces) and used a thin wire to clear them, I was able to get carb cleaner to spray unrestricted through all of the holes and jets.

Although I did not replace 105, I did checked it manually and it would seal completely and allow easy fuel flow with the manual movement of the float.