Briggs and Stratton Flywheel cracked. Need replacement?

Sublime

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton Flywheel cracked. Need replacement?
I just bought a used Craftsman push mower with a Briggs and Stratton 6.75hp motor. I got it home and was mowing the backyard when accidentally mowed over some metal enclosure lining around the garden area. The blade penetrated the metal lining and caused the blade to stop, which quickly killed the engine. It wouldn't start after that.

Upon dis-assembly I found not only was the flywheel key cut in half, but the flywheel itself has a crack. I am assuming I will be needing a new one, but wanted to make sure first. If this one will still work I will continue to use it. I have pictures below. If I do need a new flywheel, does anyone know the part number or where to get one? What is a reasonable price for one? All I can find as far as a part number on the flywheel is "17M", but a google search for that brings me nothing of use. The blade on the mower itself is not bent or damaged.

ImageShack Album - 3 images

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We will need the model, type and code numbers off the engine. They are stamped on the engine shroud. It looks like a standard Briggs flywheel and you should be able to find one reasonably. Get us the numbers.

Sublime

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am guessing that the one is pictures is no good by your response.

Here is the numbers that I've found on the shroud.

SAE J1940

126L02 1080-F1 08040456

FAMILY: 8BSXS.1901VZ E11*97/68SA*2004/26*0706*01

Thanks for the help!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Flywheel part number is 691987. For safety reasons you should never use a damaged flywheel.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Forgot to add,,, Have your parts place double check your numbers before ordering.

Sublime

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't have a parts place, is there somewhere that you recommend going to? What is a decent price for one?

xp14629

Threads
Check smallenginewarehouse.com. That flywheel shouldn't be anymore than fifty bucks. I would think you could have it shipped to your house for that cost. There should also be a sticker on the deck somewhere with craftsman's parts line if you wanted to deal with them. I have always found another way around other than using them.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Any small engine dealer, even many tractor dealers, should be able to help you. Most are authorized B&S dealers. The reason I would like you to go this way is that if I gave you the wrong part number, or you get shipped the wrong part, you have some recourse to get your $$$ back. If you have to have it shipped from an online source, use a phone call to verify you are ordering the correct part.

Sublime

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the help guys. I got a used flywheel for $20.00 and a key for $1.00 at the local mower shop.

I put it on, replaced the flywheel key, and even put some new oil in it. For some reason it still won't start. Doesn't even sound like its getting close to starting when I pull it.

Any suggestions?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the help guys. I got a used flywheel for $20.00 and a key for $1.00 at the local mower shop.

I put it on, replaced the flywheel key, and even put some new oil in it. For some reason it still won't start. Doesn't even sound like its getting close to starting when I pull it.

Any suggestions?

Back to basics, timing, spark, fuel, compression, and it will run.