Briggs and Stratton experiment.

Praetorius

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys, hope everyone is doing well , my name is Carlos and this is my first post,i had a technical question and i was wanting some opinions,i have a older Briggs mower model year 2006, your typical little Briggs block (no governor) , this mower had a rough life before i got it and the motor could be rebuilt but thats something ill mess with later, to put it simply this is what i wanna do,i have another block ,brand new short block that i want to use as a motor for this mower, BUT it has a governor,can i remove the governor stem and just braze the hole shut?? i work in a machine shop and have acces to everything in the world i need when it comes to tools including a first class welder that would be happy to close that hole for me,anybody see anything wrong with this plan? before i go digging out model numbers and codes, the blocks are identical, same crank, same valve size same everything, just one has a governor hole and the other doesn't, thank you for any input!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You say your old unit has no governor, because you have no hole in the side of the block. Are you sure that it may not have an air vane governor under the shroud, instead of a mechanical governor.

Praetorius

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Rivets,yeah im sorry yes it has a vane governor,i just meant it doesn't have the little stem that pops out from the casing,this new short block i have has the provision to install my old vane on it and work as good as the old one did,im just not sure what to do with the stem that the new one has,i hear in several places on the net about people just taking the sump out, removin the governor and just brazing the hole shut, thats why i asked the question, i really dont see anything whatsoever happening but i wanted to ask on this forum in case someone has done it before here,just curious i guess.

I guess i can be a little more specific,on a vertical shaft Briggs 90% of the time on older mowers you have a vane governor,on this new short block i have it has a provision for a vane governor but it also has close to the area where the brake is (under the flywheel) a little stem that comes out of the block where a mechanical governor (actuated by the crankshaft) is in place,i want to remove the sump,pull that lever out and the hole that will be left after that it would get brazed and everything happy,i dont wanna leave that governor there flopping with nothing attached,thats why it needs removed,the crank and the cam wont know the difference if that governor is there or not because the vane on top will take care of the new governing of the carb with the little springs and all that.

Technically its a step back, going from a governed carb to a vane carb but i have no clue what carb setup came on this short block because Briggs makes oodles of diferent models and although i have asked they havent been very fortcomihg so the easiet thing for me to do is remove the governor stem and plug the hole, this is just a little project i have, i have a perfectly running mower that starts on the first pull,lol

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would leave it alone if you are going to use the air vane. As long as the air vane system can move freely it shouldn’t create any problems.

Praetorius

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Rivets, what is the criteria here for posting pictures? i know many forums have different requirements and i didn't wanna get in trouble this early, i have some pictures that might help explain myself a little better and again thank you for your input.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I don’t think there are any real rules, but I’ve only posted one in the eight years I’ve been here. Only thing I’ve heard is that you need to keep the pixels down, but I know engines, not computers.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
the server stores thepictures on it so they are size capped
I use 12"x 10" @ 72 dpi which seem to come up a good size on the screen.
Drag & drop if you hit the picture icon in the navigation bar.
Or if you have the photos stored on a remote server then use the link icon to link them to the post.
Pictures posted with the picture icon will appear in the post
Pictures linked with not appear but may show a thumbnail or just the link

Photos taken with or downloaded driectly from a phone will often display rotated.

Praetorius

Forum Newbie
Threads
Briggs blocks.jpgI hear ya, im a mechanical guy, not much on tech, lol,here we go, hes a picture that way i can show you better what im talking about, as you can see the one on the right is brand new.it shows that little stem on the left, the old one on the left has no stem, i have heard on thee net somewhere that you can't leave that stem just there, it has to be attached to something (like a governor,lol) so thats why i was wanting to take it out and braze the hole shut, thats where i'm at right now.

Praetorius

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Bertsmobile, sorry i had already posted the pic before i read your post,the picture belongs to me, i took it and i resize it by 50%, if this is not satisfactory let me know and ill make the changes needed per forum rules and thank you for your input in the matter, i appreciate it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No problems
Some puicture applications just change the display size when you resize them so the file size remains the same
This is why it is good to change the resolution not just the size.
In any case yours displayed fine
If it were me I would buy a governor arm , link ord & spring set.
The mechanical governor is a much better system than the air vane
The carburettor is the same for both systems AFAIK
Then toss the air vane.

The only problem I can see with leaving the mechanical one there would be it dropping into the engine.
Not sure if it could as I am yet to pull one of these apart because that level of labour charges makes then an uneconomic repair so they either go back to the customer or get tossed into the "some day when I have nothing to do " pile.
That seem to be getting bigger all by itself.
You should be able to find a deceased engine with the mechanical bits on it without too much trouble all repair shops have a similar pile unless they are realists and toss then strait into the scrap metal bin.