Briggs and Stratton engine model# 122607-0118-E1 with ongoing problems.

mkarnish

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton engine model# 122607-0118-E1 with ongoing problems.
Greetings,

My first post on this forum. I have a Toro with a Briggs and Stratton engine 122607-0118-E1. According Briggs and Stratton, this engine was only sold for about 2 years due to ongoing issues.
The issue I’m having is; the flywheel or pulley assembly will occasionally lock up when attempting to pull start the mower. I would then have to release the rope a bit and then pull again but could not get the engine to turn over. The flywheel key is ok. However, the engine will start and run smoothly when turning the flywheel with an electric drill. Any suggestions?

mkarnish

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Mark. I believe the best first step would be to replace the recoil starter assembly. Would valves being out of spec cause hard starts with the recoil starter vs starting with a drill? I wouldn't think so, hense the reason for taking action to replace the recoil starter.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Absolutely yes on hard starts if valves adjustment is too loose, compression release on engine camshaft will not operate properly if valves are loose. If you need help adjusting valves let us know, it takes a little time and patience, not hard. Valve adjustment should be checked every 250 hrs. of engine run time. Manual says intake & exhaust valve setting is .004-.008, I would set them at .006, you'll definitely see a difference.

mkarnish

Forum Newbie
Threads
Quick question; why would the drill-start not pose an issue at startup if the valves are out of spec? Is it because of the more aggressive starting action (electric drill) that allows for an easier start, compared to a pull start, if in fact the valves are out of spec? By what medium would you be able to assist, if necessary? Many thanks for the advice and direction.

Rokon

Threads
Quick question; why would the drill-start not pose an issue at startup if the valves are out of spec? Is it because of the more aggressive starting action (electric drill) that allows for an easier start, compared to a pull start,

Yes

mkarnish

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Rokon.
Can you answer a question about another mower I have? I also have a Tecumseh 6.0hp engine. After I did the following work, the engines runs a little rough until it heats up. I replaced the carb, air filter, spark plug, and oil. I also cleaned out the fuel tank and added 2oz. of Sea Foam to my 2-gallon container before adding new gas. Now, the prior owner stripped the threads in the cylinder head where the plug goes. I replaced the cylinder head but DID NOT replace the gasket, which may be where my issue is. Wonder if I could be losing compression until the engine gets hot, expands, and then seals any possible leaks around the gasket? Thoughts?