Briggs and Stratton Engine Blown - cause/worth repairing?

richypryor

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton Engine Blown - cause/worth repairing?
So I am a newbie, I have serviced to a certain extent this Troy Bilt Bronco for 12 year. Just got it ready for this year but needed new transmission belts which I couldn't fit, (time and equipment mainly) Got it back from a local guy, great with these things. Didn't notice any issues leakage anywhere but after I had been mowing for around 20 minutes, started shaking and smoking, turned it off and SEE IMAGE - my guess is there was a small oil leak no one noticed? Question is it worth replacing on a 12 year Bronco, (cost of engine, time and labor etc going to be high) or is it time to move on to a new model of something?

Attachments

• 63909434115__46E3D98E-E796-4588-89B7-98D59BC0E263.jpg
    63909434115__46E3D98E-E796-4588-89B7-98D59BC0E263.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 15

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is a counter weight that has let go.
Usually nothing to do with oil leaks.
The Surplus center , Small Engine Warehouse & Small Engine Supplies all have heavily discounted surplus engines .
What is important is how good is the mower.

richypryor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well that makes me feel better, thank you!

richypryor

Forum Newbie
Threads
The mower is in good shape, like people age is the biggest issue :) , I would say that if I can get a used engine replaced and fitted for less than 500 then it would give me a few m,ore years, any more than that then I am of the opinion its time for a change! On that note what is your opinion on a hydrostaic as opposed to an automatic transmission?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Get a new mower.