Briggs and Stratton 675 Pressure Washer Leaking Oil

jhabers

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Troy Built Pressure washer with a Briggs and Stratton 675 series motor on it. It has been leaking oil for a while now. It doesn't leak a lot at all, but enough to get a few drips on the driveway each time I use it. I am not 100% sure where the source of the leak is coming from but it appears to be coming from the front of the motor, where the spark plug is the part that has the fins, from the bottom of that (Sorry I have no idea what it is called). This is where I see the most oil on the outside, but there is oil however on other parts of the motor.

I was however wanting to degrease and totally clean the outside of the motor so I could be certain where it is coming from but I had a question. What is the best way to clean degrease the outside of the motor? Is it OK to spray down the motor with simple green, let it sit a few minutes then use the pressure washer to pressure wash the entire motor? Anything I should watch out for when doing this? Any better way?

Thanks!
Jonathan

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Simple Green and a garden hose would be better than using a pressure washer. I suspect the leak is coming from the sump gasket, which in other words is the oil pan.

jhabers

Forum Newbie
Threads
Simple Green and a garden hose would be better than using a pressure washer. I suspect the leak is coming from the sump gasket, which in other words is the oil pan.

Thanks for the reply. That is where I suspected it was coming from myself.

How hard is this job to do?
Is there any other gaskets I should be changing while having it apart?
I assume I should replace the shaft oil seal as well.
Do I use black RTV on the sump gasket?
What are the torque specs on those bolts?

I assume that the pump just unbolts from the bottom of the pressure washer. Is that all a contained unit or will I need to refill that with oil? Or do I just bolt it back up when I am done?

After the pump is removed I just unbolt the motor from the stand?

Then unbolt the sump, clean up the old gasket the apply new one and rebolt on, remount to stand and fill with oil?

I have never worked on an engine like this before so this is all new to me. Any help or step by step would be very helpful.

Thank You in advance!

Jonathan

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No sealant on the gasket, and change the crankshaft seal. I don't know your model number but I am assuming it is a 12xxxx. Torque is 90 in/lb if flat head engine, and 100 in/lb if overhead valve.

jhabers

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply, some great information!

While the baby was sleeping today I was able to snap some photos of the pressure washer (Pictures are worth a thousand words!)

Overall shot of the pressure washer - PMHmcaW.jpg

Motor model number - EscBStB.jpg

Shot of front of motor, most of the leak looks to be coming from this area - 4bnqOWc.jpg

Shot of directly under the front of the motor - k4RLtJR.jpg

Straight on shot of the front - QqntSrC.jpg

Back left of the motor, oil fill - sDwhXrs.jpg

So with looking at these pictures does it still look like the source of the leak is from the sump gasket?

Thanks a ton!

Jonathan

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would say it is the sump gasket, there isn't anything else in that area that can leak, besides a very rare casing flaw in the aluminum, I have only seen two in 15 years.

jhabers

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would say it is the sump gasket, there isn't anything else in that area that can leak, besides a very rare casing flaw in the aluminum, I have only seen two in 15 years.

Thanks again for your help. I just have a few more questions

1. Do you think it could possibly be the head gasket leaking since the head is right there? I ordered a full gasket set (it was cheap), so I will have the gasket to do it.

2. Loctite on the bolts? red, blue?

3. I know when torqueing the bolts to gradually increase while crisscrossing, but some places I see where there is a specific order to tighten the bolts down. Is there a specific order or do I just crisscross

Thanks!

Jon

I found these docs to help me
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us...e/PDFs/Engine Specifications Chart_ms3992.pdf
http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/18ktvKXLnfBhU7y.pdf

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is no oil in the head like on a OHV which eliminated the head gasket. No lock tite on the threads, and I am sure there is a pattern to tightening, but a crisscross is about what the patterm looks like anyway. Torque the bolts in thirds 30,60,90 in/lb.

jhabers

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is no oil in the head like on a OHV which eliminated the head gasket. No lock tite on the threads, and I am sure there is a pattern to tightening, but a crisscross is about what the patterm looks like anyway. Torque the bolts in thirds 30,60,90 in/lb.

GREAT Info! Thanks a lot for all your help

jhabers

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just finished all the work on the motor and it seems to be a success. I ran it for a good 15 Minutes after putting everything back together and I do not see any oil leaking. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Here are some pictures of the process and some things that I noted:

Here you can see a good shot of the bottom of the head after I took the motor off the stand and flipped it over. Looks like some oil leaking;
IMAG0129.jpg

Here you can see that bottom bolt on the head where it looked like it was leaking. This bolt was definetly not torqued and pretty loose:
IMAG0138.jpg

Here is the sump after i took it off:
IMAG0134.jpg

Here it is after I cleaned it up:
IMAG0136.jpg

Head Shot:
IMAG0139.jpg

Internals shot:
IMAG0135.jpg

Here you can see where i think the breather was leaking:
breather.jpg

I also found that where I think it was leaking from the sump gasket that bolt to be real loose as well. Also one of the breather assemb bolts was loose and looks like oil was leaking from it. In all 3 cases the bolt shafts were covered in oil and the threads too. I cleaned it all up with carb cleaner, put new gaskets on the exhaust, breather, head and sump. Also put a new crank shaft seal. Re-torqued in 1/3s. Put her all back together, filled her up with oil and a little gas and she fired right up and ran great. Looked for oil leaking and did not see any. I could only run for about 15 Min because it started to rain but hopefully all is good.

Thanks again for all your help. It helped a lot. I hope this thread will help out someone with a similar problem in the future

Jon