Briggs and Stratton 550E not starting

dhes

Threads
Yes it has a primer bulb. Its the automatic throttle I guess. Should this be fully open or closed on start up?

dhes

Threads
If you split the assembly into two pieces you probably broke the integrity of the assembly which is why it is not working.
Yikes! I followed this video and he split the jet assembly

dhes

Threads
My jet assembly has the bottom part with O ring as circled below is blocked. It appears to be a be a brass stopper/plug.550E Jets.JPG

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, I understand. To tell you the truth I don’t know what that part of the assembly is for. Next time I get a really bad one I’m going to have to do some surgery and see how this assembly works. 90%of the time I find the main jet plugged on this assembly. After ultrasound cleaning and making sure both the main jet and nozzle jet are open, I reassemble and the unit runs properly. The other 10% I replaced the carb.

dhes

Threads
Thanks for replies. I took the carb out again and noticed the jet I circled above is actually open. Its a very small jet. Anyhow I put everything back and still no joy. I'm thinking to change the carb now. Has there ever been a case where the carb/jets look perfectly fine but engine only runs when they were changed. Should I get the jet assembly or whole new carb unit?

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are you a betting man? How’s your track record on this unit so far? Ask yourself this before purchasing either. If I buy the jet assembly only what do I do if it does not work? Your decision.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Replace the module assembly as you may still not have fully clean. Plus per the date code posted there is a new version for that carburetor. You must which model 09P series you have as there four different new modules. The model and type are engraved on the side of the engine's crankcase.

dhes

Threads
I like to take a chance. Before I change the carb I just found this video. The choke is open on my carb when engine is cold. Is this the problem?

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The item circle is the idle jet and if plugged it is you problem. The previous mention module change was due to this jet clogging. Please refer to the following dealer service bulletin.

DSB-1060

Now after reading this Rivets you will know this module works better.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes I know about that bulletin. I have used that assembly with limited success, as I have found the the new jet design still clogs, especially when our reformulated gas is allowed to sit in the carb over the winter. I personally would like to see a fuel drain on this carb. It would solve a lot of problems if used properly.