Briggs and Stratton 500e sputters after carb replacement.

what was wrong with the old one? What prompted you to decide the carb was the cause of whatever the mower was doing?
After it had been sitting for a couple years, I put gas in it and it wouldn’t start. I removed the air cleaner, shot some starting fluid in and the motor would run briefly, then die. I figured there was an issue with the carb, likely gunked up from sitting.
With the replacement carb, it now runs, but at a very low speed and sputters when running. When put under load, it dies.
 
did you drain the fuel tank and hose completely, clean them before putting the new carb on and new fuel in?
 
did you drain the fuel tank and hose completely, clean them before putting the new carb on and new fuel in?
I did completely drain the tank. Only thing I didn’t do was blow air through the fuel line backward, but know fuel is flowing through it.
 
Last edited:
the question becomes how old is the fuel in the carb now. If it is old it will not run well. It may start then die. There is no way of knowing if there was old fuel in the line or crud.
 
Back
Top