Briggs and stratton 4hp quatro piston ring help

giuseppe105

Threads
I got a lawn mower for free and it wouldn't start. It was covered in oil and grease. The air filter has so much oil in it that the oil was dripping from the bottom of the air filter. I cleaned everything my spark plug was drenched in oil. I guessed that the problem was the piston rings went bad... This is my first time ever doing this. Where do I buy piston rings and what piston rings do I get? Also where do I get the tool to put the piston back in?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think you guess might be wrong and you might have a gem under that oil and grease. I think that the mower was tipped the wrong way allowing the oil to flow to posses it should be. Before you tearbit apart, please try the following. Change the oil, fuel, air filter and plug. You may have to primer the carb with carb cleaner to get it to start and do so outside, because you will rid the nieghborhood of Mosquitos when it starts. Let it run until the smoke disappears.

giuseppe105

Threads
this makes me feel horrible now.... before i made the topic I already took the lawn mower apart... and when I was putting the piston back in I broke a ring....

there was no trace of oil in the engine manifold and inside the cylinder was a mess the piston crown was black with soot carbon and oil. the intake and exhaust valves and the engien head were all in the same condition. Inside the exhaust valve its covered in oil and soot and carbon. spark plug works fine its just drenched in oil.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take your model number to any good repair shop and they should be able to get you any parts you need.