Briggs and Stratton 49E777 Starts then 2-30 seconds later Just Dies

Atomfusion

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton 49E777 Starts then 2-30 seconds later Just Dies
I have a PTZ-60 that has had no problems for 6 years and this year it started fine ran idle for about 10 mins then about 60 seconds into mowing the grass the engine just cut off. When it does this It will start up after a few seconds to a minutes and run smooth for 2-30 seconds then just die. It did this for about a week as I just randomly
Model 49E777
Type 0001G1
Code 150409YP

replaced and checked things:
Changed fuel filter
Changed Vacuum fuel pump
Checked fuel from inside the take screen out to the Fuel Injectors
Took out and cleaned injectors
replaced Spark Plugs
Checked Oil Switch
Checked Crankcase oil
Removed Air filter/checked
checked/replaced fuel
bought fuel pressure reader that fits on the 1/4 Snyder valve , pressure reads 38 and stays there even when it dies

finally got to the map sensor took that out, Cleaned it with mass air flow spray
got the mower to start and run
Mowed yard, 1 hour
Towed a little trailer moving dirt 4 yards of dirt over 2 days 100ft or so
Not even a hickup

4 days later
Went to mow grass, died after 4 mins, started up ran for 2 more min then died, then the amount of time it would run got smaller and smaller till it only 15 seconds or so
Replaced MAP sensor with new one I had ordered
Continue to Randomly Cut out
Found out how to get and read engine codes has 5 codes atm
P0201 Cyl 1 fuel injector fault
P0202 cyl 2 fuel injector fault
P0351 cyl1 ignition coil fault
P0352 cyl2 ignition coil fault
P0131 signal voltage O2 low

There is no way all 5 of these are bad at one time,
I can find no issues at all with the wiring harness nor any spots that look like that have been chewed
I did move the fuses 180 deg today and it ran for about 15 mins after that but I do not trust it to mow the yard as if it dies I can not push it back up the hill to the garage

In short I have no misfire, lots of fuel, and pressure , but the mower just shuts off like you got off the seat with the blades on, but it does this even with the parking break on before you do anything.
I know the easy thought at this time is the ECM but as a Car mechanic I also know thats not normally the problem
I have also observed that the ECM seems to be 592443 but the manual says 593878 and that seems superseded by 846484
So maybe there is a known issue with the ECM

any Insight would be great
Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This manual may help you out. And it sounds like the ignition module codes will also set fuel injector codes.

Atomfusion

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I had Found this pdf the day that I posted this message, I did not know that the ignition module code would set the fuel injector code, I have disconnected the battery for up to 8 hours and the computer still seems to remember the codes, Is there any way to clear the codes without the 250 Tiny Scan ?
Does the tiny Scan clear codes ?

I still find it odd that both the ignition modules would fail at exactly the same time
I see this motor has 2 different ECM Service bulletins for trying to protect the ECM and its been upgraded
Have you seen more ignition modules go bad or ECMs for the EFI's ?

Im not convinced its not a wiring issue yet as its been sporadic but I could see the same on a failing ECM, or failing ignition modules

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I don't see much of the EFI stuff. And from my understanding you have to have a tiny scan or the Briggs diagnostics software to clear codes. I can only find one service bulletin tied to your engine and it relates to poor performance and the P0131 and P0174 codes. I am thinking it could be a wiring issue myself. I seriously doubt that that the injectors, modules, and O2 all failed at once unless there was an electrical surge that damaged everything. I would consider removing and cleaning all the engine grounds because EFI is sensitive to ground issues.

Atomfusion

Forum Newbie
Threads
Will take the harness off clean all grounds and reconnect
I was talking about
Service Bulletin DSB-1053
To dampen vibration to the ECM/fuse block bracket, install Briggs & Stratton Service Kit (Part No. 847337), which includes a new fuse/ relay block cover, ECM mounting bracket, rubber isolation mounts, and mounting hardware
It was in the Repair Manual pdf pg 8,

I have played with the harness some, but not removed it or cleaned grounds, I did take out all fuses check them and put them back in 180 deg. Yesterday i was able to cut grass for 1 hour again without any issues but I do not trust it.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Will take the harness off clean all grounds and reconnect
I was talking about
Service Bulletin DSB-1053
To dampen vibration to the ECM/fuse block bracket, install Briggs & Stratton Service Kit (Part No. 847337), which includes a new fuse/ relay block cover, ECM mounting bracket, rubber isolation mounts, and mounting hardware
It was in the Repair Manual pdf pg 8,

I have played with the harness some, but not removed it or cleaned grounds, I did take out all fuses check them and put them back in 180 deg. Yesterday i was able to cut grass for 1 hour again without any issues but I do not trust it.
Possible ignition switch bad, or chaffed wires intermittently grounding out.

Atomfusion

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tiger, Great Call, As soon as I read the ignition switch, I had not even thought about it, It always turned over.
I have had an issue for the last 3 years, When I tried to start the mower sometimes it would just click and I would have to try continually turning the key until it would start to crank.
I had it out the day you posted Ignition switch and when it died on me I watched the light and wiggled the switch and could catch times that it would cause the light to come on and go off. I had already ordered a $20 replacement switch on Friday, Today I changed the switch, My old switch had one of the terminals that could be wiggled and if you wiggled the connector it would cause the mower to energize and deenergize. After the new ignition switch everything is tight and I could not get the mower to toggle, also I believe it fixed the starter issue as it started without any clicking 4 times in a row.

Thank you both for your time and answers,
Will Need to mow now with it some, but this was the first thing I have actually been see/test as bad, and it was very intermittent

Last edited: