Briggs and Stratton 42A707 Gas in crank case

outofshapedad

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 16.5 twin cylendar briggs stratton model 42A707 type 2238.E1 on a 2002 White Outdoor that will not start. I replaced battery, spark plugs, and gas. Oil level was high and smelled like gas so drained and flushed with new oil. Installed gas shut-off valve as well. I think it is the carburetor which has a plastic float. Thinking of installing a new needle to see if that works. Any ideas?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Replacing the needle valve won't hurt anything, since it won't start have you checked for spark, compression, try putting a small amount of gas in intake or spray some carb cleaner in the intake and see if it will start on that.

quasaronly

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you think its the carb You're probably right. Recommend you rebuild the carb completely and not just replace the needle valve, you will save time, money and frustration. Check with repair shops and buy what you need, they should have new parts on hand and the cost of all the parts you need is not muchmore than buying one or two things. I don't know your carb per-se, but get all the replaceable parts you need for a rebuild., you will eliminate the guess work involved if you replace one thing and it still does not work. The parts you need are pretty cheap, so replace the needle valve and seat, the primer bulb if it has one, the clip for the needle valve, the float if it is leaking, the float pin if it is corroded, the bowl ring, the main valve washer/seal, the gaskets on both sides of the carb if they are in the least not reusable, and so on. A repair shop will know what you need and you will be in to this thing for 15 - 35 dollars, give or take. Consider letting them rebuild the carb for you, just take it in. They should have a parts cleaner and the expertise to rebuild your carb, hand it back to you and you just slap it on. Again, that's a pretty cheap way to go. My advice is that if you are going to do everything yourself, do everything. Lots of videos and instructions online.

outofshapedad

Forum Newbie
Threads
I like your thinking - get the shop to rebuild the carb in total to take out the guess work - thanks for the advice

outofshapedad

Forum Newbie
Threads
well boys I changed the small needle in the carb to see if that alone would help - lucky enough it finally started up and seems to be working again ... phew... Thanks formall the advice!!!