Briggs and Stratton 18.5 OHV pushing oil out the exhaust pipe.

Bat57

Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton 18.5 OHV pushing oil out the exhaust pipe.
I have an older B&S 18.5 ohv engine that had a couple of issues mainly camshft so while i was in there I decided to replace the rings because of low compression. the cylinder wall and piston were not scared up so i honed the cylinder for a few seconds cleaned everything put new rings in, new camshaft, tappets, new crankshaft seals, made sure oil slinger was good and new sump gasket. while head was off I took it apart and cleaned everything and made sure the valves closed good. Installed a new head gasket. Put it all back together and adjusted valves. Engine started and ran great but started to smoke so I went to muffler where it was coming from and could see the oil leaking out of the muffler. Took valve cover off and there was alot of oil in it. took head back off and there was not alot of oil in the cylinder. Put head back on and tried again. still pushing oil out the exhaust. Any ideas of problem? Thanks guys for any help.

(Update) (7-11) After several pieces of advice, I put everything back together and but I unhooked breather hose from the carb and started the engine. The muffler started smoking some after it ran a few seconds and began to ease off as the residue oil on it was burning off. I let it run a few minutes and idled it down every minute or so until it was at a low idle and it began to act up then cut off. Probably carb. But I checked the muffler and it was not leaking oil out of it like before. Checked oil level after a couple of minutes and it was at same mark as before it was run. So the pushing oil out of the muffler stop by pulling the breather valve hose off the carb. Question now is how to fix that so it works right? Thanks guys for the help so far. Engine---31N707-0301-B1,, MD- 090514ZA.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most likely some oil has seeped into the muffler when you were working on the engine
Cut the grass a few times & see if it clears up
If not pull the breather tube off the air box
Problem goes away = head gasket leaking / breather valve malfunctioning .
Rocker cover should have oil in there .

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wonder if the block has a crack allowing oil into the exhaust port then into the muffler? As in never cleaned the cylinder cooling fins?? Shot in the dark.

If you just put new rings in, you need to allow them to seat. It's going to smoke a while. Shouldn't have oil running out of the muffler.

Your low compression might of been a simple valve adjustment, valve guide moved or a stuck open valve.

slomo

Bat57

Threads
Thanks for the info. Valve cover does usually have some oil in it when you pull it off but this time i pulled the cover off pulling the top back then the bottom. there was about half the depth of the cover of oil in it. Never seen that much oil in the valve area before and that doesn't include that , that spilled taking it off. Also i cleaned the muffler out afetr the first leak and let it dry. Second time you could see the oil coming out of the seams of the muffler. I will check the breather tube and see what is going on there. Thanks.

Bat57

Threads
Wonder if the block has a crack allowing oil into the exhaust port then into the muffler? As in never cleaned the cylinder cooling fins?? Shot in the dark.

If you just put new rings in, you need to allow them to seat. It's going to smoke a while. Shouldn't have oil running out of the muffler.

Your low compression might of been a simple valve adjustment, valve guide moved or a stuck open valve.

slomo
I clean engine before working on it . Everything. as to not get dirt inside of engine while working on it. Once back together i adjusted valves to B&S settings.(manual). I also adjusted valves before working on engine and didn't help the compression. its smoking because of the oil in muffler not because of the rings. Thanks for your info.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oil level exactly on the full mark? Not over or under?

Does the oil smell like gas? Smell the dipstick.

When checking the oil, screw the dipstick all the way in then remove and check level. Some engines like Kawasaki's and Honda's you park the stick on top of the threads only. Check your engine manual to be sure.

I like Bert's idea of checking the breather hose while running. Post up a video here with the breather hose off and engine on.

slomo

Bat57

Threads
Most likely some oil has seeped into the muffler when you were working on the engine
Cut the grass a few times & see if it clears up
If not pull the breather tube off the air box
Problem goes away = head gasket leaking / breather valve malfunctioning .
Rocker cover should have oil in there .
I pulled the breather reed tube off the carb and started engine. It ran good at higher rpms and didnt push oil out of the muffler but when I run it at low speed it strated running crappy and finally shut off. I guess I need to check the breather reed chamber and clean everything replace the Reed and try it again and see if that cures it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Being a 31 cu in series I would put odds on a blown head gasket as they are known for this happening between the cylinder and the push rod galley. If you have access to a leak down tester. Remove the valve cover and dpi stick while testing listen at the air escaping it would louder at the push rod galley if the head gasket is blown.

Bat57

Threads
Being a 31 cu in series I would put odds on a blown head gasket as they are known for this happening between the cylinder and the push rod galley. If you have access to a leak down tester. Remove the valve cover and dpi stick while testing listen at the air escaping it would louder at the push rod galley if the head gasket is blown.
Thanks. I just put a NEW Head Gasket in it then I discontected the breather hose from the carb and started it up. It ran good at higher rpms and it stoped pushing oil out of the muffler, but when I idled it down to slow rpms it started acting up and then eventually shut off. I will do some checking of the breather reed system and see if it is clogged or reed is messed up. Thanks again.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I regularly have to dress the head & the block because they errode where the gasket is blown.
Did you check both for square & for hollows with a strait edge before you replaced the gasket.
It would not be the first time a brand new gasket failed in service.