Briggs and Stratton 15.5 HP Intek / Run, Smoke (A lot of White Smoke!), Cut Off

Rascal1#

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton 15.5 HP Intek / Run, Smoke (A lot of White Smoke!), Cut Off
Greetings,

Brand Noob member here. The site/forum looks like the lion share of knowledge, guidance, and advise for small gas engines. I have a Simplicity Express Tractor Mower with a Briggs and Stratton 15.5 HP Intek. It is a used Lawn Tractor (Simplicity Express 15.5HP) that appears to have been well cared for by the prior owner. It has many new parts, 4 Tires, Battery, Mower Blades. I purchased last May 2023 for $500.

Summary; the engine has developed a run, smoke (a lot), and cut off issue. I was not able to get past the issue and keep it running after about a dozen attempts.

Briggs and Stratton 15.5 Intek (Simplicity Express Riding Tractor Mower)

The numbers were a little hard to see, engine identification:
Model: 285707 (could be 28S707)
Type: 1150-E1
Code: 9903222D (It could be 99G3222

Problem(s):
  • Engine will start and runs for about 15-20 seconds then Cuts Off.
  • Whether using choke or no choke Fast or Slow carburetor setting.
  • Has white smoke coming out of exhaust.
  • There is what appears to be Fuel that is black and tainted with oil coming out of the exhaust pipe.
  • I had noticed this liquid coming out of exhaust the last few mows but it was a small amount.
  • Now there is a puddle of the black mixed Fuel/Oil.
The white smoke it produces is of a Ginormous amount in the 15-20 seconds of running.
The neighbors asked if something was a fire, however I couldn't see them for the smoke just hear them LOL!!!
*The last 2 mows engine would start, smoke white for about 10 seconds, then would run fine with no issues. Completed mow with no issues.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am very mechanically inclined and handy. I suspect/hope it is something in the fuel/air delivery regulation re: carburetor.

Ask:
  • Advise on the potential problem(s) and recommendation for replacement or rebuild parts. If it is the carburetor I am inclined to do a full rebuild when the carburetor is apart versus replace a one or a few carburetor components.
  • Best Parts store with good reviews/reputation, especially for getting the right part(s) the first time.
  • Any other preventive maintenance advise. I have already purchased a fuel petcock on/off valve and new fuel line. As I was informed this prevents carburetor issues with above located (gravity) fuel tanks.
Thanks in advance for input and guidance!

-Rascal

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton 15.5 HP Intek / Run, Smoke (A lot of White Smoke!), Cut Off
Remove the dipstick and make sure the oil is at the correct level and not overfilled or smells like gas which would indicate a carb float valve leaking issue. But I suspect your main problem is a blown head gasket.

Rascal1#

Forum Newbie
Threads
Remove the dipstick and make sure the oil is at the correct level and not overfilled or smells like gas which would indicate a carb float valve leaking issue. But I suspect your main problem is a blown head gasket.
Thanks for the reply and advise. I thought it was something more than a carburetor issue. I ordered a Gasket kit and have reviewed the YouTube instructions. It looks like a 4-5 hour job for a first timer to replace the head gasket. Baring no issues...

I have a nice solid lifter cam in my 383 stroker '73 Camaro that I have adjusted the rockers/valves many times. It looks like this should help in adjusting the rocker arms in assembly on the Briggs & Stratton OHV.

Rascal1#

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well... I decided to replace the Head Gasket based on guidance, circumstances, and evaluation. Upon removing the Head I discovered no issue with the head gasket. No visible issue with the Head Gasket at all, none.

Oh well, it happens. The first Gasket Set I received had the wrong Head Gasket replacement; both size and configuration were incorrect. I re-ordered in hopes of receiving on a Sunday so I could complete the repair before the weekend was over. Once again effed over by Amazon. I received a Head Gasket that was obviously previously installed, removed, and had slight damage to the Head Gasket.

Can someone please recommend a parts suppliers/store that is reputable, especially when it comes to selling the correct and new parts. A site sponsor and/or advertiser parts store would be fine.

As stated previously listed below are the engine identification.

I would prefer the Gasket Kit that includes the Head Gasket, Rocker Cover gasket, Exhaust & Intake gaskets.

Briggs and Stratton 15.5 Horse Power Intek (Simplicity Express Riding Tractor Mower)

The numbers were a little hard to see, engine identification:
Model: 285707
Type: 1150-E1
Code: 9903222D (It could be 99G3222

Thanks!
-Rascal