Briggs and Strapon 18.5HP Intek Seized big end

shedbloke

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, got a low hour Briggs with classic seized and snapped off conrod. Engine was used in hilly country and and possibly had fuel contamination issues. This I believe contributed to the failure. Stripped and cleaned her up and used oven cleaner and 1000 grit wet/dry al/oxide paper and cleaned up the main journal very nicely. Had to stone out a couple of small dings.
Am going to devcon epoxy the hole in the case. Have just put in an order for gaskets, rod, governor and cam. Every thing else inspected serviceable. This is a straight forward repair. BTW I am an ex airforce engine fitter and NDT tech and have half a clue as to what I am doing. I will keep you all posted.

Shedbloke from downunder

Cub Cadet 23HP/46
Yardman 11.5/32
Troy bilt 18.5/42
Briggs and stratten 3.5/18
VICTA 18 2 STROKE TOE CUTTER

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Especially interested in the epoxy fix to the case. Let us know!

shedbloke

Forum Newbie
Threads
Regards using epoxy to fill holes in Mower engine cases I offer the following two bobs worth. Years ago I was inspecting a 30 Mw steam generator, and noticed a couple of blokes applying Devcon pump repair epoxy to the fixed outer casing where the low pressure blade tips run. They were filling in deep steam erosion areas. I was immediately spell bound. Here was a compound that could survive casing temperatures. I had just stumbled on to something that I could use in my shed to repair Dirtbike engine casings, corroded out alloy cooling system components, and even electronic devices that have been mechanically damaged. This epoxy in it's various forms sets very tough and hard. I have used the ceramic epoxy made also by devcon to protect the OD on Eddy current probes used to inspect condenser tubes. These probes have to travel into and out of thousands of tubes and the wear rates were very low. This stuff works well on chain guides etc. It is good for casting small parts. Really its up to ones ingenuity as to what epoxy compounds can be used for. One word of advice is you have to measure the proportions accurately or it will not go off. I use medical syringes to do this measuring.:thumbsup:

shedbloke

Forum Newbie
Threads
:confused2:By the way any one know how I can change my home location to Karalee Australia.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
shedbloke, I have read before about the Devcon. Impressive. Sometime I will have to try it. Are you talking about actually moving, or are you already in Australia?

shedbloke

Forum Newbie
Threads
shedbloke, I have read before about the Devcon. Impressive. Sometime I will have to try it. Are you talking about actually moving, or are you already in Australia?
I have been here in Australia for the last 60 years. Visited your great country for 2 weeks back in the mid 90s and loved the big pickup trucks. American pickup trucks cost a fortune over here. Would love to own a late model one.

hennessey

Threads
Regards using epoxy to fill holes in Mower engine cases I offer the following two bobs worth. Years ago I was inspecting a 30 Mw steam generator, and noticed a couple of blokes applying Devcon pump repair epoxy to the fixed outer casing where the low pressure blade tips run. They were filling in deep steam erosion areas. I was immediately spell bound. Here was a compound that could survive casing temperatures. I had just stumbled on to something that I could use in my shed to repair Dirtbike engine casings, corroded out alloy cooling system components, and even electronic devices that have been mechanically damaged. This epoxy in it's various forms sets very tough and hard. I have used the ceramic epoxy made also by devcon to protect the OD on Eddy current probes used to inspect condenser tubes. These probes have to travel into and out of thousands of tubes and the wear rates were very low. This stuff works well on chain guides etc. It is good for casting small parts. Really its up to ones ingenuity as to what epoxy compounds can be used for. One word of advice is you have to measure the proportions accurately or it will not go off. I use medical syringes to do this measuring.:thumbsup:

I screwed the oil pressure gauge too far in and cracked the sump for a 22hp Briggs V-Tech. The crack goes across the oil filter surface. I was going to use JBWeld, but I have no history in using this for engines. It looks like you've used Devcon for different purposes. I found many different Devcon epoxies, which do you recommend?

Attachments

• IMG_0248.jpg
    IMG_0248.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 7

hennessey

Threads
:confused2:By the way any one know how I can change my home location to Karalee Australia.

To change your address: log in, go to "Forums" from the top menu ("Home" "Learning Center" "Parts" "News" "Forums") and then go to "My Home".

shedbloke

Forum Newbie
Threads
I screwed the oil pressure gauge too far in and cracked the sump for a 22hp Briggs V-Tech. The crack goes across the oil filter surface. I was going to use JBWeld, but I have no history in using this for engines. It looks like you've used Devcon for different purposes. I found many different Devcon epoxies, which do you recommend?

:eek:This problem should be solved with a TIG welder. Other wise you have a long shot on using A/c lockwire to stitch the two halves in conjunction with ceramic liquid devcon. Try and find some where else to put that sender because it is just going to cause the same problem again if you use the epoxy approach.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnWorld!

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair forum. :smile: