Briggs 6hp question

tothemax

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I am new to the forum and I have a question. I recently picked up a 1996 toro super recycler with a 6hp toro branded briggs motor. It has a manual shift 3spd trans and throttle control. It runs like a champ but when I was looking for a carb kit it seemed like a lot of the parts were discontinued. The deck/drivetrain is well used.

My current mower is early 2000's toro super recycler with a 6hp briggs motor. It has a primer bulb setup and personal pace. It runs good but smokes at random while you mow. Everything else is in mint shape.

So my question is, how much of a PITA would it be to swap motors? It looks like its fairly similar except for the throttle control. Thoughts? Ideas?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post the Toro and Briggs numbers for both units. I think you should be able to make the swap, but with out numbers, I won't know about the engine contols and the deck sizes.

tothemax

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the help. Here are the numbers.

Old Toro w/6hp throttle controlled motor: Model:20464 SN: 5905997
Newer Toro w/Personal Pace: Model: 20043 SN: 210009497

I'm pretty sure the swap can be done as everything looks to be similar. I just need to figure out if that older motor is a decent one and its worth the swap. If so I would try and keep the personal pace and I would have to make a bracket for the throttle control.

The only problem with the old toro motor is it leaks a little fuel from inside the carb. I rebuilt it and Its slowly allowing fuel to trickle by filling the carb. I'll have to go in and pull the seat. Hopefully its was just installed funny and the readjustment will fix it.

tothemax

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I swapped motors. Took about 30mins but it's done. Toughest part was building a throttle bracket out of aluminium and mounting it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry I didn't get back to you, last four days were nasty. Glad to hear that you solved your own question.