Briggs 6.0HP no start

jlitzz

Threads
Have an older Craftsman mower with 6.0 Briggs engine. At first I noticed it did not have spark with kill wire attached, so I disconnected and now have spark. Tried to start it with starting fluid but it only "pops" a bit but does not start. Checked the flywheel key and it looked fine but I replaced it anyways as a precaution. Still the same issue. I am starting to think it may be one of two issues--1) Weak spark or 2) Low compression.

Seems okay when I pull the rope but do not have tools to measure compression. Any suggestions to the possible causes? I regularly work on mowers but this one has got me stuck.

Thanks

jlitzz

Threads
Sorry, correct number is 124702-3204-01

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did this problem just happen or has it been sometime before it as been used, have you check the the carb is it clean and is fuel is getting there, what is the gap like on the coil to flywheel, take off the air filter and make sure that the choke is working, and Briggs don't give compression tests readers.

jlitzz

Threads
Not sure how long this was a problem, I received the mower from a neighbor who was moving. Haven't checked the gap on the coil to flywheel. I am going to assume that the carb needs to be cleaned but choke seems to be working fine. I thought it should at least run for a short time on the starting fluid but I don't even get that. I will check the gap first to see if this makes any difference.

I just don't want to go too far with this machine if it is a compression issue.

jlitzz

Threads
Checked the gap on the coil and it is good. Cleaned the flywheel of any rust as well and no difference.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Next would be to clean out the carb, make sure you have fuel from the tank to the carb. leave the kill wire off for now until you have it running.