Briggs 5hp - Can't get the valve out?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well I both sets about 12 yrs ago. I have never used the 5/16 set to date but I have use the 1/4" set a fair amount. Of course I had add one reamer to the set due after market when they were available were a 32nd larger. I now make my own 1/4 id brass bushings since Briggs decided to get ridiculous on the price for the brass bushings. I still do 1/4 valve guides every so often.

And Slomo that fuel tank liner is going to do no good when the reservoir cup is rusted out. Besides a lot these tank have anti splash items inside them that must be removed to even try to seal the inside surface after a rust removal procedure is performed.

As Hammer said the amount of work is not worth when got to bill a customer for it. I go one 3 quart tank left in stock and I saving it for my own use. IT cost near 95 usd from my Briggs distributor and it was one of last ones available.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I still have 2 engines from the racing days. Used but good tanks. Like star saving for my own use. Got a new tank from a 3 hp but is the old style. I think i stil have about 4 or 5 1/4" valve guides.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
you'd think as much aftermarket stuff the Chinese make, they'd make a tank for the 5hp briggs that are always NLA and rusted to hell and back. heck, if i had the know how i'd get with someone who has the capability and start producing them.... but i'm sure there are patent issues etc with briggs,.. i bet.. maybe.. probably. who knows.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tanks used to be mae from Tern Plate with is like tin plate but using lead a the coating
These are the tanks you find in the rusted out bodies of old flat head V 8 and while being a little rusty on the outside are perfect on the inside.
Then lead suddenly switched faith and became the spawn of the devil so they had to stop using it and switched to galvabond which is a zinc aluminium coating
Firstly it does crack a little at the bends and secondly it reacts with water to corrode away after which the steel rusts really quickly as the surface of the steel is active which was necessary to get the galvabond to bond .
Just another case of the EPA causing 100 times the amount of pollution by preventing a tiny bit of pollution which most times is in their imagination.