Briggs 42A707 Stator output measurement

Bentoolong

Threads
The issue I originally stated was that I am seeing around .65A in the circuit. That seems low.

I see 12V to ground at the connector to the battery so I know the connection is good and the fuse hasn't popped.

I'm still not clear on what I am seeing on my meter at .65A. Is that OK?

Telesis

Threads
Bentoolong, you are correct in saying if your battery charge was lower, you'd see a higher current. Briggs puts a couple asterisks next to the spec of 2-4A for this dual circuit system(and others) and states that the current is dependent on battery voltage and "if the battery voltage is at it's maximum value, the amperage measured will be less that shown." The simplest test is what StarTech mentioned. Measure the battery voltage with it off, and when it's running at high speed(3600rpm). If the battery voltage is higher while running then it's a good bet it's charging!

Telesis

Threads
We happen to have been typing at approximately the same time. The short answer is Yes 0.65A is OK! Just means you have nicely charged battery!

Bentoolong

Threads
Thanks folks,
The last few posts helped. I measured at the battery at idle. 12.5V. Revved up to top end and it was 13V. Fixed and done. All I need now is grass. Got up to 45 in Michigan today.

Ben Toolong