Briggs 330000 Vertical head gasket Q

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A bit of a rub on a sheet of 600 wet & dry on a sheet of glass.
Probably need a few sheets.
Head is easy block is a bit more tricky
make sure the copper gasket is dead soft when you get it.
If it is dead soft rolling your thumb nail across it should leave a crescent indentation
If not anneal it

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Apologies for the delay gentlemen, update:
Contacted Lani from CopperGasketsUS. He informed me to place an order on their site or ebay and include my engine number. Will be installing it in the near future.

In regards to the poor milling/surface on head: any suggestions on what tool(s) I need to use to inspect/measure whether or not it's level and in spec? I haven't done measurements like that before and wouldn't mind buying a new tool if needed, heh.
I second the plate glass and wet/dry sandpaper idea. I used to use the glass garage door.

Just removed a head off a 190cc Briggs L-head Toro Recycler. For grins I checked it on plate glass. Sure enough was not even close to flat. On this head, bolts are along the outer perimeter. That was where the distorted metal was. Ran across a sheet of 220 grit. Could of used 80 to start it was pretty warped.

From now on, every head is getting flattened. Bet most heads are not even close to flat.

slomo

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I second the plate glass and wet/dry sandpaper idea. I used to use the glass garage door.

Just removed a head off a 190cc Briggs L-head Toro Recycler. For grins I checked it on plate glass. Sure enough was not even close to flat. On this head, bolts are along the outer perimeter. That was where the distorted metal was. Ran across a sheet of 220 grit. Could of used 80 to start it was pretty warped.

From now on, every head is getting flattened. Bet most heads are not even close to flat.

slomo
not many level heads out there these days.

Florida

Threads
Cheers fellas, will check it out and report back